Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lazy Beach Days


Whoohoo!! Summer's here in all its glory and it's time to hit the beach! So this week at Creative Inspirations Wednesday Challenge Blog we are challenging you to make a beach inspired card. Can't wait to see all the wonderful entries that will be rolling in!

I used two Flourishes sets to make my DT card: Seaside Life and Beach Life. I really love both of these sets!! The shells were stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black on Flourishes card stock and colored with Copics. They were trimmed out and coated with Crystal Effects. I also used the shells to stamp around the perimeter of the Soft Suede layer in Versamark and then clear embossed them for texture. The DP is from the K&Co. Sea Glass stack. I bought it a year ago and hardly used it. Now I've used it twice in the past couple of weeks - great DP!!

I layered the Soft Suede and the DP together, stitched around the edge and then cut a window with the Labels 1 Spellbinders die. Then a frame was cut by taping the die used to cut the window and the next larger size together, being very careful to make sure the gap was equi-distant all the way around. This configuration was used to cut a frame in the Soft Suede.

I used Dusty Durango for the outer shell and the inside window because I thought it mimicked the firey ocean sunset. I cut a piece larger than the window and embossed it with the Cuttlebug Moroccan Screen EF and layered the serene ocean scene over it. The beach sign was made with some Cosmo Cricket DP that looked like wood. I stamped the sentiment in Vintage Photo Distress Ink and mounted in on a toothpick (coated with Vintage Photo distress ink too).

So, what do you think? I told the other designers on the team that I couldn't decide if I liked it or if it was an over-the-top mess. But is was a lot of fun to make so I guess that redeems it no matter what anyone else thinks - right?

Now it's time to hurry on over to the Creative Inspirations Wednesday Challenge blog to see the other wonderful creations from the design team members.

Thanks so much for stopping by to see what I made for Creative Inspirations this week. I love to know who is visiting so leave me a little comment if you have time.

Update: A reader asked about the fishing net - did I purchase it or make it. I made it - LOL! I looked all over for one to buy, couldn't find one and resorted to tying string together to make one. And wouldn't you know it. I was in Marshall's yesterday and they had a little bundle of shells all tied up in a pretty little net for $1.99. Of course, I snatched it up so I'm set for next time! Thanks for asking.

Blessings & hugs,

Challenges entered:
Chrisma Cardz Challenge - Going Around in Circles
Whimsical Wednesdays - The Diedrich Dare - Summer Inspiration
Papertake Weekly - Fun, Fun, Fun
Tuesday Taggers - Touchy, feely texture
Pixie Cottage - Use metal and/or sketch (mine has metal)
The Pink Elephant - Gotta Wear Shades (bright colors)
Cupcake Craft Challenge - Summer Inspired

33 comments:

Beverly G said...

I don't why you think this is a mess. Very effective use of shells and netting, Love the quote. I haven't seen a mess on your blog yet.

Kelly said...

I love this card, especially how you popped up the frame to make the image look like it is recessed. All the embellies are fantastic!!

Shirl said...

This is absolutely cool! The layering and window are nice, but what I love the most are the netting and the shells! Fantastic work!!!

Anonymous said...

Crimany!

NOW this is just TOO cute!

So summery!

Just "LOVE" the net with the sea shells! ... you've inspired me to TRY something like this! .... been meaning to "ink" up my rubber sea shells! ... gotta tell Michelle (daydreams) to SEE this beauty, we are big "sea shell" girls too!

Irene said...

Morning Linda

Wow another fabulous card, I love your work. Fabulous embellies and design.

luv
irene
xxxx

Ingrid said...

I'm so glad I came here! I'm gastdesigner for Creative Inspirations this month and that's how I discovered your blog! I really like your vintage touch. And you embellish your card so nice. Thanks for the inspiration.
Hugs Ingrid

Jennifer Scull said...

just breath-taking! I love evertyhing you have done with this! makes me want to jump right into the card.....

Janiel/ janny said...

Oh LInda THIS IS NOT A MESS sweetie!!
I LOVE IT!!!! I love all of the little detials!!! GREAT CARD!!!

okay now I have to tell you that I am sad that you are not going to be with us anymore. pout pout

I do understand. My life is also a bit crazy with all that I do or have to get done. I also will be gone a bit. In fact 3 of the 4 weeks in July I will be gone.
You will be missed!!!!!!!!
hugs, Janiel

Zoechaos said...

oh wanna go lie on your beach sipping sangrea from those shells. Thank you for joining in with TT this week, did you see we have a Tanda prize? might be worth a little link.

kris said...

Wow Linda!!! this is the perfect creation for our inspiration challenge!! LOVE the added netting... Thank you SO much for joining us at the Dare!! Hope you'll play along with this challenge often and have a wonderful summer!! =D

Faye said...

Wow Linda, this card is AMAZING. Thanks for playing at Charisma. x

Unknown said...

Another stunning card - wow you are very talented! thanks for playing along with TT this week x Janet

Anonymous said...

Just when I think you can't surprise and amaze me any more you manage to pull another gem out of the bag ! I can't believe you weren't sure if you liked it I think it's wonderful ! Sue C x

Anonymous said...

This is one gorgeous piece of art! You are so talented. Thanks so much for joining us for our challenge at the Pixie Cottage,
~Pam

Davi said...

Very pretty, Love the layers and the net! Thanks for joining us at the Pixie Cottage. :)

Viv said...

This is adorable! LOve everything about it! And its not a mess at all! Viv x

Katie said...

Just gorgeous!
I love that is going on and especially the "fishing net" :)
Thanks for playing in The Pixie Cottage this week :)

Beautiful Greetings said...

Another awesome card Linda! I absolutely love the net and all the shells. It is not a mess, it is perfect! thanks for joining us at the Pixie Cottage this week and congrats on your win there last week!

Denise @ kc242 said...

Hey Linda, what a wonderful summertime collage card. Love the layering and the net with shells!
Denise

Anne said...

Linda your card is super cool! So many fancy details =) Thanks for playing with us at the Pixie Cottage!

Hugs, Anne

Unknown said...

Beautiful card Linda!! Thanks for continuing to play at The Pixie Cottage

Netty said...

Love this, so much to look at. Annette

Silvia said...

WOW!! What a beautiful card you made. Love all the texture on the card. The colors are great!! Your really rocked this card...
Thanks for joining us at TPE!

cheryl said...

oh wow really love this hun gosh its so inventive just love it such great detail to make one stunning card bless you for playing at the pixie cottage this week hope to see you again soon love hugs cheryl xxxxxxx

debby4000 said...

Fabulous card, brilliant details.
luv
Debby

PatR said...

Love your fabulous creation and thanks for joining us at TT this week.
xx

Adrina said...

Beautiful original creation!!
Thanks for joining the Pixie Cottage Challenge this week!!
Adrina XX

Unknown said...

I have to say Linda it's not OTT. It's a card what I would put in a frame and hang it on my wall. Thx playing along with TT this week
hugs
Ildiko

Shelly said...

Hi! Gorgeous Summery creation! The net looks fab! Thanks for playing along at Cupcake this week! Shelly ;)

Alex said...

Like your card! Its so cool for summer!
Thanks for joining EAC!
Hugs, Alex

Sheri Gilson said...

WOW!! Fabulous summer card!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at TPE!!
Sheri-TPE DT

artish said...

can i come stroll in your card!? :) love the beach and how you incorporated that metal!! thank you for playing at the pixie cottage!

Lynne Phelps said...

I love the colors and all the positive and negative layering! I also love the distressed edges and the embossing folder!

Question - your post did not mention the netting. Did you make it or purchase it? Please give us some details, as it is such a fabulous touch!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com