Saturday, June 5, 2010

Beach Days!


We're kicking off a new month at Our Creative Corner and yours truly is the hostess. I set up the challenges several months ago and for this week I chose summer inspiration. I've had a look around the blogosphere and see that great minds think alike and there are several other similar themed challeges this week. Actually, for the OCC challenge, I am asking you to harken back to the days of your youth and make a card inspired by what summer was like for you back then. Here in the U.S.A., we have summer icons such as seasonal foods (think hot dogs, watermelon and ice cream), activies such as vacations, swimming and summer sports, celebrations such as family reunions, and the list goes on.

I actually had this card/post from last year in mind and wanted to do something similar, something more evocative of my growning up years, but my mojo has been riding me hard all week on the beach theme and it wasn't giving up until I produced one more. You see, my DH and I are getting ready to spend some serious time in Key West this summer starting with a 10 day stint beginning on June 18th. My SIL and her DH have rented a four-bedroom house for a month and we're invited to spend as much time there as we want to - or as much time as we can take off work - LOL. It's only a three hour drive for us so we plan to do the first 10 days and then probably long weekends for the rest of the time. We are super excited. We did this last year and had an absolute blast!! So two weeks from today we'll be rockin' on down to the Conch Republic, the island of beaches, sunsets and Margaritaville.

But enough of my vacation dreaming, I think you probably came here to learn about my OCC DT card for this week. It's the second one this week I have made with Flourishes Beach Life and Seaside Life sets. The hibiscus is from Stampendous. DP is My Mind's Eye Breaking Free. The letters were cut with the Cuttlebug Oliva alphabet dies. Most coloring was done with Copics, but the sea was sponged with SU inks.

Be sure to stop by Our Creative Corner and see what other summer inspired treasures the DT has to get your mojo cranked up. I can't wait to see where it leads YOU this week. We'd also love to have you visit all of our teamies' blogs. Here are the links to make it easy for you.

Wendy JensenDana GrothausDiane GilbertJennifer MeyerJulie LeBlancSarah GoughLori Rider

Thanks for stopping by today! Hope you are a wonderful weekend.

Blessings & hugs,

Challenges entered:
Paper Cutz - Vacation Theme
Raise the Bar - Celebrate Summer
Stampin' for the Weekend - Summer/Travel theme
Papertake Weekly - Fun, Fun, Fun

20 comments:

cheryl said...

wow this is just stunning,gosh so effective,super detail on this totally awesome hugs cheryl xxxx

Christine said...

Your summer plans sound awesome, just like the card! What fun!

LorettaL said...

Wonderful, Linda!!!

Jane, at Thepaperaffair said...

Linda, enjoy your long vacation, so jealous here, LOL. I hope the beach will stay nice there. Soak up some sun for me!! Jane

Irene said...

Hello Linda

Your project is just ingenious, amazing and gorgeous. I love, love it. Enjoy your break away - totally jealous Lol........ It sounds wonderful.

luv
irene
xxxx

HappyCrafter said...

Mm, this makes me think of the beach trips when I was a kid, thank you for the reminder :-)

Diane Gilbert said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!! Oh the memories of the hot lazy days spent at the beach! Thanks for the great challenge this week Linda :)

shelly said...

holy smokes linda! this card is gorgeous.. a true work of art. wow. thanks so much for sharing this with us at papercutz. did i already say wow!

Mary Ski said...

Love the boldness, the tilt, everything!! Thanks for joining us at Paper Cutz. You are an inspiration.

Karen said...

Wow!! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! I really love this!! Wow...so beautiful - your work is incredible! I really love how you post DT members as a link at the bottom of your post - that is so sweet!

crafty amy said...

Wow this is brilliant I love all the details those flowers are gorgeous!
Thank you for joining us at stampin' for the weekend and good luck.

Hugs

Amy xx

CarlaKH said...

oh love this.. what a great scene and as usually the details you added just set it off perfectly!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

That is an excellent card! Love the scene and wish I was there!

Kelly said...

This is gorgeous, I love your masking and sponging for the waves, the pp makes it look like a Tiki hut, and the accents of flowers, trees, etc. really finish it off.

Wendy J. said...

Linda, fabulous "summertime" card! Love your small details. It was a great challenge, thanks!

Helen Dooley said...

Im there! Thanks for playing along on PCC.

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful card and design Linda! LOVE the beach theme and stunning colors! Enjoy your trip and we will see you when you get back!

Hugs, Jennifer :)

~*Joni said...

What a beautiful card Linda! I love the different elements, it truly reminds me of my youth days as I grew up in Hawaii. :D Wonderful job, the details are amazing. Thank you for joining us at Raise The Bar this week!
~*Joni RTB DT

Di said...

WOW this is a real work of ART!
Love it it is soo clever!
Thanks for joining SFTW!!
Hugs Di xxxx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com