Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Harvest Home Wall Hanging


Hello, I'm back with m weekly Wednesday post for Frilly and Funkie, a little late today because I had the Artistic Outpost blog hop post earlier today.  Rebecca is our hostess this fortnight and her challenge to us is to make a home decor piece for Thanksgiving or if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving, then based on gratitude.  I had a really tough time getting started on this piece.  My mojo seems pretty flat lately, but once it got flowing, I had a ball making this piece.  It's a little wall hanging made with two tags.  I turned them into little houses by giving them a roof line with cardboard.  I started with two jumbo manila tags, initially spraying Walnut Stain distress stain spray over the Tim Holtz woodgrain stencil.  Then I flipped the stencil over and laid another tag on top, burnishing it to absorb what was left of the stain.  I liked that better than the first one so I took another fresh tag and did the same thing again.  That one came out lighter, but I liked it and decide to use it anyway.  

I created worn enameled plaques for the gratitude words using the Tim Holtz ____ texture fade.  I cut them apart and embossed with Wendy Vecchi Orange Blossom embossing powder, knocking some of it off to give a worn appearance.  LOVE the way they look!

I attached the middle plaque to the tag with eyelets and jump rings.  For the bottom, I needed something very narrow because the only place to fasten it to was the tip of the roof.  I decided to use on of the small Tim Holtz hanger clips, coloring it first with Teakwood alcohol ink.  I added a small loop of wire to the back of the lower house so it would hang on the clip.
I loved using the Wendy Vecchi embossing pate on the layered leaves die cuts.  Using the checkmate stencil, I stenciled on Tree Branch embossing powder.  On the other leaf, I stenciled on Orange Blossom EP using the Stripes and Dots stencil.  I added a couple of tiny keys because I think that
gratitude for our blessings is the key to a happy home.

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope you will stop by Frilly and Funkie too.  The Frilly team has put together some show-stopping home decor pieces for the autumn season!









These products were used to make the project above and are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Wendy Vecchi, Tim Holtz and most other name brand products are always 20% below MSRP.

5 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Awesome hanging! LOVE those quirky leaves!

Cec said...

Boy when your mojo stops hiccuping, you create such gorgeous works of art. I love this piece and the wood look as well as the gorgeous leaves. I still want to be you when I grow up or at least when my mojo settles down :)
Hugs!
Cec

Lisa Minckler said...

And you are so right about being grateful. I love this idea of turning tags into birdhouses just with corrugated cardboard and I don't think I need to stress it too much how MUUUUCH I love the hanging signs!! Good grief, the rustic, worn, metallic feel is so incredible on those. Excellent job on reviving your mojo and making this home decoration.
hugs,
Lisa x

Jenny Marples said...

LOVE how you've used the embossing powders on this Linda! Such a clever design. Jenny x

sarascloset said...

I certainly can relate to the lost mojo! But it looks like yours never left! Love those enameled plaques! Gorgeous! I couldn't wait to see what the team put together, because I was hard pressed for an idea for this challenge. Thank you for your generous comment on mine.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com