Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Christmas Grunge

Hello and welcome to the October Artistic Outpost blog hop.  This month our hop theme is Winter/Christmas and we are sharing projects created with various Artistic Outpost winter and Christmas stamps.  I decided to play a bit with a mixed media tag using the Snowy Woods set. For more inspiration, be sure to visit the Artistic Outpost blog to see the other designers projects, or click their blog links below:


For my piece, I started with a jumbo manila tag and affixed white cheesecloth to it using Ranger multi medium matte.  When that was dry, I applied white Wendy Vecchi embossing paste through Prima stencil.  After letting that layer dry, a coat of gesso was applied and again, I let it dry thoroughly.  Once dry, I misted the corners with Salty Ocean distress stain spray and then spritzed it with Walnut Stain Distress Stain Spray.  The greens were cut with the new Holiday Greens thinlits dies and colors with Brushed Pewter distress stain.  

The sentiment was cut apart and I drew around the edges with a stabilo pencil.  That didn't work very well on such a rough surface so I took a water brush and went around the edges when the pencil line was.  Wow, the water reacted with the graphite and the lines got super dark and thick.  Not the look I was going for and I don't like it, but after all time I spent creating all the layers, I didn't have time go start over again.  Just beware if you use a stabilo pencil, don't watercolor over it unless you want it to be very dark!

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope you are enjoying the hop!




 The products below were used to create the above tag. They are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Ranger/Tim Holtz and mot other name brand products are always 20% below MSRP.

12 comments:

craftytrog said...

Ooh! Gorgeous tag Linda....lovely background textures! xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Brilliant! Absolutely love the background, such a great setting for that wonderful Santa stamp, looks fabulous!

sally said...

Lovely tag & thanks for the "heads up" about the stabilo pencil.

Sally

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Stunning tag Linda! I love the colours too. Yum!

Julie S said...

Beautiful! I love the texture cheesecloth adds.

Terry said...

GORGEOUS mixed media tag, Linda! The tag texture and colors are gorgeous. I so love how you used the Snow Woods Santa! Oh and all the added embellishments are another great touch as always. Enjoy!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely tag Linda, adore the texture in the background and of course using my favourite plate too. Gorgeous colours too. Tracy x

Kate Yetter said...

Wow! that background texture sure is eye catching. I really like how you used the white greenery. It makes quite a pop. Beautiful tag!
Kate

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful vintage Christmas tag, love the added texture, it looks fabulous behind the Santa image!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

So sorry I am late posting. Love this great, grunged piece. Just love how you built up all the texture.

Suzanne C said...

I just adore this! That soft misty background is fabulous!

Marjie Kemper said...

What a gorgeous tag, Linda. Love the cheesecloth + paste and such sweet colors!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com