Monday, October 17, 2011

Witchy Woman

 

A warm welcome to my bloggy friends, new followers and those of you who are just passing through.  I'm back this rainy Miami Monday to share my Simon Says Stamp and Show project with you. But first let me also share with you that we had another weekend of hard rains and praise God, my roof did not leak.  The roofers were back out this past week, pinpointed the leak and apparently have been successful at fixing it this time.  Yay!!!!

This week Simon Says Stamp and Show wants you to show us your Stripes - easy peasy, right? I have been wanting to make something for Halloween but just hadn't had the time.  I decided that a nice crisp black and white strip would make a great background for a Halloween card.  To start with, I used a plain black and white strip digital paper from Pink Petticoat.  I overlaid a black filigree brush from Designer Digitals in a repetitive pattern to give it more of a gothic look.  And, as always, I covered almost all of it up, but trust me, it looked very cool.  I downloaded the Witch Hazel label from the Cocoa and Bella blog.  Check it out - there are a number of free cool Halloween type vintage labels.  The witchy woman vintage image is from a Luna Girl CD I own.  I kept the design pretty simple with just three layers and then ran a strip of orange across the bottom that had been dry embossed with the Cuttlebug Textiles EF.  I inked up a brayer and ran black ink across the high points for definition.  Then I took a die cut made with the Spellbinders Fleur De Lis Borderabilities die and coated it with fine black glitter and affixed it to the orange strip.  I made an itty bitty black crinoline flower with the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die, backed it with back tulle and put a sparkly orange crystal in it for the center.  To hold the ticket from the Tim Holtz Odds and Ends set, I took one of Tim's Hinge Clips and coated it with Pitch Black Alcohol Ink and more fine black glitter.  The alcohol ink is sticky and I just poured the glitter over it while it was wet and it stuck on just fine :)  I didn't think it was quite finished so I took a tiny scrap of seam binding and dyed it with Peeled Paint DI, threaded it through an orange button and affixed it to the top.  Not a scary Halloween card - just cute vintage style.  Hope you like it.

Hey, how about visiting the Simon Says Stamp and Show blog?  You'll find some great inspiration from our amazing team and we'd love to have you play along this week.  Our ever-generous sponsor, Simon Says Stamp, will be awarding a $50 shopping spree in their well-stocked store to a lucky random player this week.

14 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

I am not big on stripes but I love the way they are in this card, how cool to alter the clip!!,ist try that! fab card, trace x

Sazcreations said...

I just love your handmade cards. I am following your tags. They are just fantastic.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your witchy woman card, the black and white stripe in the background is perfect and I love the black and orange. Love love your flower, well all the flowers you make. A wonderful card. Tracy xv

Gabrielle said...

I love the Halloween feel to this - very atmospheric which is not easy to do! Might have to see what paper I have in my stash now...!

Nancy Wethington said...

OMG I adore this piece! Something about the vintage image mixed with black & cream stripes with the orange . . . just perfectly designed!

Marjie Kemper said...

Wonderful card, Linda! Love that tiny flower and what you've done with the hinge clip.

Cec said...

I love the bold stripes on this card and the great vintage images. Your clip, ticket and flower are wonderful additions.
Hugs!
Cec

Christine said...

This is gorgeous!

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

What a gorgeous vintage Halloween card Linda x

Anne Marie Hile said...

Absolutely fabulous, yet again! All of the details just work beautifully together. Gorgeous! :)

Terry said...

Hey there Linda, love your witchy woman too wow and the orange colors are really cool. Your flower is amazing Linda your card really rocks. Hugs TErry xxxx

Sarah said...

I absolutely love your card Linda - such a fabulous design and the stripes look perfect. Such a classy and truly vintage Halloween creation with amazing flowers. Fabulous design work - love it!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

What a fun Halloween project, Linda! I love the sophisticated twist you added to it and how the embellies are coming off the page a bit ;)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

coldwaters2 said...

Wow Linda you make Halloween look romantic and classy with this beauty, the detail, colours, design and image look something so special.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com