Monday, October 10, 2011

Lovely Wings

Good Monday morning to you, bloggy friends.  I hope you had a wonderful weekend.  It rained torrents here in Miami and my brand new roof leaked - eeek!  Raining in my hall bathroom again - what a disaster and not what you expect when you paid for an entire new roof!  The roofers are getting an earful from the DH in the morning.

But let's get back on track here.  I'm sure you came to see my weekly mixed media piece for Simon Says Stamp and Show, not to hear my woes.  Our challenge for you this week is to show us something with wings.  I had an absolute blast with this challenge.  My teammate Sarah is encouraging us to try using book covers in her My Mojo Monthly series so I took a leaf out of her book and put the technique into action.  Actually, I have to confess that Sarah inspired me to start using book covers about 6 months ago and they are sensational for building a mixed media piece on.  So  I picked up a used hard cover book at Goodwill for $1.50 and using a sharp craft knife, I sliced off the front cover and ink distressed the edges with Vintage Photo DI.  

I have some vintage doilies crocheted by my grandmother, but couldn't bring myself to cut into them.  So I hit our local antique/junk shop and was able to score some beautiful doilies which I used for this project.  I smeared the entire cover with Claudine Helmuth's Multi Medium Matte and pressed the largest doily into it.  I tore and distressed a page from a vintage songbook and adhered that next, then topped that with a vintage style tag that I had digitally altered.  The dress form is from Wendy Vecchi's A Form of Art set.  For the wings, I stamped the wings from the Tim Holtz Regal Flourishes set with Vintage Photo DI on a piece of acetate,  sprinkled Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder onto it and then embossed with my heat gun.  I didn't overdo the heat because I didn't want to totally melt the acetate.  It just acquired a nice curve from the heat.  I then fussy cut the wings and dabbed the back side with Gold Arcylic Paint Dabber.  I love the way the wings look - nice and textured on the front with a beautiful golden shine on the back (don't forget, you can click the photo once or twice to open it up large so you can really see the details).  

I die cut two small tags and stamped them with WISH and LOVE from the Tim Holtz Stuff to Say stamp set, plus stamped a small floral flourish in Tattered Rose then ink distressed the edges with VPDI.   I used these to make a skirt, tying them on with a bit of seam binding dyed with Vintage Photo DI.  

Once all that was done, I added some pieces of doilies and anything else girlie from my stash I could lay my hands on.  This one was a total joy to work on and I savored every girlie piece I added.   Hope you enjoyed looking at it too.

Now it's time once again to leave my blog and scoot over to the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge blog to see what the rest of the amazingly talented design team have to share with you.  Always terrific mojo starters over there!  I hope you will create your own piece with wings and share it with us this week.  Don't forget, our sensational sponsor, Simon Says Stamp, always so generous, is giving a $50 shopping spree to the lucky random winner.  It could be YOU, but not if you don't play along.

Have a great week, my friends. 



Challenges Entered:
Fashionable Stamping Challenge - Anything But a Card

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Linda absolutely stunning all the embellies are beautiful, a real work of art.
Chris x

Nancy Wethington said...

Linda, this is beautiful. Love the lace on this project and those wings are gorgeous!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

So sorry to hear about your roof Linda and hope you get it sorted soon, must be a nightmare. Your creative piece this week is stunning. I love the layered look to this piece and the doilies are a wonderful vintage element and your wings are fabulous. All in all a wonderful piece. Emjoy your week. Tracy x x

scrap joanny said...

this is beautiful and really stunning project :-))) Wow wow wow - I love this :-) hugs Joanna

Candy C said...

Linda...the joy and love you put into this piece shows! It's absolutely beautiful! I love your Grandmother's doilies on it. I couldn't have cut them either! Every bit of this piece is just perfection. Love the stamped mannequin. LOVE the wings behind it! I love all the lace and the color palate you chose to work with. Your book cover is just magic! <3 Candy

Conniecrafter said...

very cool, love the artistic, vintage feel it has!

Marjie Kemper said...

What a fabulous piece, Linda! The wings are stunning and I love all the different bits and pieces of lace. Glad you were able to find some @ the thrift shop to use as you sure know what to do with it. This is BEAUTIFUL.

Gillian .... said...

Oh wow Linda, the layers and vintage feel make this DT project simply gorgeous, love everything about it.

Scrappiness said...

wow it´s absolutely gorgeous! I love everything about it!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Hi Linda,

Beautiful project!! I love the flowers and the layout is fantastic :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Wow this is stunning Linda, what a great idea to use an old book cover. I love all the detail you have put in - the more you look the more you see! x

Sarah said...

What a beautiful vintage creation Linda. Absolutely loving the varied shades of whites and creams and so many layers if texture and detail. It's oozing with shabby love and a wonderfully composed choice of elements... A fab DT piece in real Linda style...you are looking very at home with the Wendy touches too. Thanks for all your support and kind words and also big thanks for supporting and playing along with My Mojo Monthly!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a gorgeous vintage creation, great crochet and other vintage details...lovely :-))

greetings, Alie

Shirl said...

Linda - firstly truly sorry about the roof and hope there isn't too much damage to personal items and secondly this inspiring piece of artwork is soooooo pretty.

So much going on, I am seeing new things every time I stare at it.

A huge thank you for sharing such an adorable book cover with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

Hugs Shirley x x

Gisèle said...

This is stunning; loving all the textures and embellishments...truly gorgeous...

Inkypinkycraft said...

This is so gorgeous, I love the real vintage feel and all the soft colours and layers are truly lovely! He you get your roof sorted and thanks for leaving such lovely comments on my blog trace x

Claire said...

Wow what a stunner! So much detail and I love all the layers. Thanks for joining us on the catwalk at Fashionable Stamping Challenges and good luck
Claire xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's an outstanding piece of art, love all the elements on it. Thanks for joining the Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

jacirascrap said...

Esse seu projeto é simplesmente magnífico...surpreendente...vencedor...

Hettie said...

What a beautiful piece and right up my street. Lovely and I hope it isn't put anywhere near your leaky roof!! Perish the thought!

Lisa Minckler said...

Where have I been? I thought I'd seen all your recent posts, but somehow this one slipped past me. This is amazingly beautiful Linda.
Looks like something that my mother would LOVE in "her" room.
You just create the most amazing pieces of art.
Thanks for the never ending inspiration. :D
OH...and your latest Halloween card....GASP!!!! Now THAT'S a Halloween card if EVER I've seen one. Love every item from the first layer of black and white stripes all the way to the top layers.
Have a great week and I'm SO happy that your roof is no longer leaking. YEAH!!!!
Hugs,
Lisa xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda
Amazing textures. I don't blame you for not wanting to cut up the doilies made by your Grandmother.
A beautiful colour palette which is very appealing to the eye.
Thank you for joining Fashionable Stamping Challenge.
Wishes
Lynne

Fliss said...

This is just stunning Linda. Such gorgeous colours and stamping and fabulous texture.
I too can see why you wouldn't want to cut up a family treasure but your purchases look wonderful on here.
Thanks for sharing it with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges and good luck.
Fliss x

peggy aplSEEDS said...

this is such a gorgeous piece! all the details are amazing. i love it!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

this is such a gorgeous piece! all the details are amazing. i love it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com