Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Altered CD Challenge


Welcome back to my regular Wednesday post for the Creative Inspirations Wednesday Challenge Blog. Our hostess, Nat, has challenged us to make an altered CD this week. Well, you probably know I'm not big on projects, but when it's a challenge we're always up for it, right? I just happened to be browsing Isabella's Sketchbook store and saw this adorable round digital image and thought it would be perfect. So at least I had a starting place. I colored it with Copics and then embossed it three times with ultra thick embossing powder, put in in the freezer for 20 minutes and then cracked it. After that, I rubbed Creamy Caramel ink into it to make the crackes look aged. I'm not all that happy with the result. I was pleased with the coloring job I did, but then the Versamark sort of smeared the Copic ink. The first time I tried it, it had even worse bleeding. I had the image all colored and looking beautiful. I coated it with Tim Holtz Crackle Accents and left it to dry over night. When I checked it the next morning, the ink had bled quite badly. So the first attempt hit the trash. If you look closely at this one, you can see that some of the blue ink seemd to bleed a bit. It wasn't like that until I applied the Versamark and the EP crystals. Lesson - embossing doesn't work so hot with Copics.

Details: Step 1 - I cut a ring about 1/2" wide using my old Creative Memories cutting system. The circle is the same diameter as the CD. Then I wrapped it with cream satin ribbon. Step 2 - I ran a basting thread along the edge of the lace and gathered it a bit so it would curve around the diameter of the CD and glued it in place with Beacon Fabri-Tac glue. Step 3 - I cut a scalloped ring to fit just inside the outer circle with Nestabilities. I used the white cardboard backing from an SU designer paper pack. I cut two and layered one ont top of the other for thickness, then sponged the edges with Creamy Caramel and applied chunky glitter. Step 4 - The image panel was glued to the back of the glitter ring, which was then glued to the top of the satin ribbon ring. I prettied up the ribbon and was good to go.

I really don't care for projects because they take time away from card making, but I must admit, this was fun to do and I may make more for gifts. I think I'll leave out the cracked glass step next time and just enjoy the image is it is.

So now you've seen my little project, why don't you run on over to the Creative Inspirations blog to see the other projects the DT has for your inspiration. There are some fab projects to get you started! And when you are done there, stop by Isabella's Sketchbook, Isabella's Challenge and Isabella's Sketchbook Blog. She has some fab images in her store, great illustrations on her blog to inspire you, a terrific Wednesday challenge AND a DT CALL. So whatcha waitin' for? Get hoppin'!!!

Blessings on your day,

Challenges entered:

The Crazy Challenge - Don't call me flat (3-D challenge)
Corrosive - Textures
One Stitch at a Time - Torn, Distressed, Shabby
Creative Belli Challenge - Die Cut Shapes

17 comments:

Christine said...

Fabulous project Linda!

Linanna DESIGNS said...

I always enjoy my visits here Linda, your blog is full of inspiration and this is no exceptioin. What a great project, hope your having a good week hugs Linda x

Beautiful Greetings said...

Linda this is just beautiful! I love how it looks so feminine with the satin ribbon and the lace. Too cute!

Joseline said...

This is so beautiful Linda. You did an excellent job!!

Beverly G said...

Thanks for the heads up Linda, Mandy gave me a heads up also, I emailed them last night and it's in process. You'd never know that's a CD. I don't see any sewing :-)

joy said...

I really like the your project! Great coloring and love the lace. Thanks for playing along with the Creative Belli Challenge.

stitchy said...

Linda, what a beautiful way to cover up those old scratched cd's..amazing, so fancy..thank you for sharing your talent with us at OSAAT - hope to see you again - good luck

stitchy xoxox

marsha said...

This is just great! I love the idea and it is so feminine.
Hugs, Narsga

Sam said...

I think it adds to the aged look hun where the versamark bled it slightly. Great dangly and the image is fab too. Thanks for joining us here at OSAAT and I hope we'll see you again on Sunday to check out the winners and the next weeks challenge.
Take care
Sam x

Nana said...

Very very prety! Thank you for joining us at "Crazy challenge" this week!
hugs Nana

cheryl said...

oh this is brilliant so love it hun,such a great project thanks for joining us at OSAAT hugs cheryl xxxx

Maria Matter said...

Hi Linda!
I love seeing your name on the Creative Belli links, I always know I'm going to witness a fabulous creation!!!
Love this, your coloring is beautiful!!!
Hugs & Blessings, Maria

Mary said...

This is beautiful! Lovely project! Thanks for playing along with us at Corrosive Challenges!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great idea!!! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at the crazy.
Trish

thread-bare said...

Fab idea. Thanks for joining in with our challenge at OSAAT x Clare (DT) x

Мързеланче said...

Great job Linda! Thanks for joining us at the Crazy Challenge!

Marzelanche

Chrissy D said...

Ohhh this is sooo pretty! Beautiful project! Thanks for playing with us in the Belli Challenge!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com