Saturday, January 26, 2013

Wood You Dream?


Happy Saturday!  It's a beautiful day here in Gainesville, Florida!  The sun is shinning and it's going to the mid 70's today.  I'm planning to walk to the farmer's market in the little village center less than a mile from our new home and then maybe go for a nice long bike ride this afternoon.  I'm enjoying all the walking/biking trails in the area.

I've been super busy as usual.  Still trying to settle into the new place and working on decorating now.  Plus I've had lots of orders with the shop over the last couple of days.  So I'm running a little behind and have a late posting of my Saturday Our Creative Corner post.  Liliana is our host again this week and her challenge is "Woody with a Button".  We are to use some sort of wood, real, faux, stamped, embossed, etc.  I've had some real wood, thin bark-type strips that I have never used.  I was afraid to put it through my Cuttlebug as it was a bit thick and I didn't want to break it.  So I cut a piece of chipboard with the TH Baroque die, traced it onto the bark and then hand cut  it out.  That worked just fine.  I was afraid the bark might be very brittle and sort of fall apart, but it actually was quite tough and flexible.  The edges were sponged with Vintage Photo DI.
My main focal piece was stamped in Sepia archival with the Artistic Outpost Birds of a Feather bird, masked and then the text BG was stamped in Jet Black archival, the edges torn and sponged with Vintage Photo and Black Soot DIs.  Using a piece of Chocolate Chip CS, I stamped the little flourish stamp from Birds of a Feather around the outer edge and white embossed it, then scissor distressed the edges and sponged them with Vintage Photo.

The leaves are Ranger foil tape over card stock, cut with an old Sizzlet die, run through the Regal Flourish texture fade and painted with the Vintaj Weather Copper patina paints.  My flower is various fabrics cut with the Tattered Florals die, plus a bit of vintage crochet work and a rhinestone button from Melissa Frances.  The Dream stamp is from the Artistic Outpost Huck Finn set.

So that's it for my Our Creative Corner make for this week. Hope you will stop by and see what the rest of the team has to jumpstart your creativity for the weekend!  Thanks so much for stopping by and for all your lovely comments.  I so appreciate your encouragement and support!








All these crafty goodies can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:


21 comments:

Terry said...

I am so going to attempt one of your gorgeous flowers! So you cut it out by hand and how does that hand feel? I squeezed the water out of some spinach last night and my had was pretty achy! Love the masking of the bird, such a dramatic effect with the Sepia and Black! Beautiful card! Enjoy what sounds like a great day! Hugs!

Astrid Maclean said...

What a brilliant card! Love the idea of the real bark, it looks fantastic and the bird is just gorgeous as are all the embellishments and the whole composition of this piece.

Have to be honest, I am deeply jealous of your lovely weather, - mid seventies..... ☺ not fair....

Sophie said...

Wunderschön.
So voller Nostalgie und Poesie.

Herzlichst Sophie

Cassie said...

This is so beautiful Linda!

Words and Pictures said...

Wow, this is wonderful... the real bark adds such gorgeous texture, and I love the Gothic text behind the bird! Beautiful layers of shabby chic loveliness...

Your plan for the day sounds lovely - envying that weather!
Alison xx

Yvonne Garner said...

Linda, your piece is so inspiring. Love all the detail you out into everything you touch. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs, Yvonne

Unknown said...

First off I am a new reader and I just love your style. I think we might be sisters..lol. This porject is so cute. Over the top pretty. Stop by and visit some time soon.
God bless....Brooke

http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/
My home and garden site...

http://brookekroeger.blogspot.com/
My Vintage Art and Printables site...

Jenny Marples said...

Good to see what you do with Patinas Linda (love it!) and the use of bark is tremendous. Love the masked bird too. You always provide us with fantastic inspiration. Hugs, Jenny x

lilscrappers said...

I tried my Vintage last night for the first time and wondered what it should look like :) I'm playing along this week if I can find my camera....love the idea of wood, I'm sure I can find some here to alter! Love your flower, I'm trying to create in that style, but it doesn't come natural, lol

Jane, at Thepaperaffair said...

Everything is lovely as ALWAYS!

Just read you moved. Hope I you are loving your new place Linda! Jane

marda said...

Wow, this is amazing. Love that bark piece, what a creative idea that is. Glad to hear you're getting settled in and you love your new home and surroundings.

Inkypinkycraft said...

a really beautiful make and wow real bark...great idea. love the flowers too! trace x

BEARKIS said...

LOVE your style!!!

Conniecrafter said...

very cool, love the distresing and the flower is so pretty!

Lisa Minckler said...

That's beautiful Linda. The actual piece of wood is a show stopper! :)

Diane said...

Gorgeous card!!! It caught my eye right away...love the flower, too!!

Unknown said...

I've just become your latest follower, I love your work, it's stunning, and look forward to seeing more.xx

Meihsia Liu said...

This is gorgeous! Linda. There are always so many fabulous details on your creations. Great design! ^_^

Hettie said...

Wow Linda. What a stunning card you have created. Hard to believe you have used real bark on there.
That bird is stunning.
Great to hear you are enjoying your new home!
Hugs
xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

What a beauty!!!! Love the flower...a real stunner! So elegant yet woodsy! Gorgeous make...and I love you too! ;0)

Kate Yetter said...

Such a gorgeous card, Linda. I Love love love it! That background and flower...leaves me speechless!
Kate

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com