Wednesday, January 9, 2013

An A-Musing Challenge


Hello and welcome back to my first post of 2013 for Frilly and Funkie.  This is an exciting day for us over at Frilly and Funkie as we are welcoming one of our new design team who is one of our "Frillies".  It's Terry Wietsma-Girbes from Terry's Cards and Creativity and I hope you will all stop by her blog and give her a warm welcome!

Our hostess this fortnight is Sue Carrington and Sue is encouraging us to follow our muse and to let it wander free.  Well, my muse wanted to go the shabby, girly vintage route.  I took my inspiration from the style of the amazing Melissa Phillips of Lillybean's Paperie but I am not very good at copying the styles of others.  I have my own style and can't seem to move very far away from it.  Here my take on her style.

I started with two spellbinders dies, one that I used to cut some very light white chipboard and a nesting one that I tried to cut felt with, but ended up just scoring the felt enough that I could cut it with very sharp scissors.  I sponged the edges of the larger heart with Broken Twigs DI and then added some very chunky glitter.  The edges of the felt heart were hand stitched with some vintage crochet string from my grandmother's sewing basket.  This element was then mounted on a gold heart doily.

Then I clear embossed the flower flourish from SU's Elements of Style and stamped Wendy Vecchi's gingham stamp in SU's Cherry Cobbler.  Then I sponged the entire piece with Vintage Photo DI.  The sentiment is also an SU stamp from the Short and Sweet set.  The second layer is just white CS that I swiped with Tarnished Brass Metallic Distress Stain.  In retrospect, now I wish I would have run a zigzag stitch around the edge.

That's it for me for the Frilly week.  Here's hoping you will let your muse run free and join us over at Frilly and Funkie for this challenge!









These products use on this card can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

21 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

Linda this is beautiful, I love the layered flower..full of texture and the heart is gorgeous...a card full of vintage yumminess! Trace x

BEARKIS said...

Wonderful creation,love it!!!

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh, I adore this piece!! The layered hearts are out of this world and the added glitter with the darker edge looks scruptious!! Really like that background too, just wonderful altogether!!

Jenny Marples said...

Love where your muse has taken you with this one Linda. It is definitely vintage feminine. And aren't we always our own harshest critics? Trust me, it's adorable with or without stitching. Hugs, Jenny x

Paper Profusion said...

Divine card Linda! Both beautiful and pretty (and its not easy to strike both). Your range of creativity is wonderful. Nicola x

Maryanne said...

Love this card, Linda! It's frilly and beautiful! I love the felt heart over the glittery heart.

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Gorgeous & romantic creation, love it !

Unknown said...

I love the heart!! Perfect for Vday!

Sophie said...

Oh, Linda, das herz sieht wunderschön aus.
Dieses leichte "apricot/pink" sieht sehr fein aus.

Conniecrafter said...

so pretty, love the shabby feel to it!

Terry said...

Linda, Oh how pretty is this card!! Love the heart layers and the flower center adds to the elegance. A great Frilly start for 2013! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card Linda, the hearts are beautiful and I love the felt ! Sue C x

Words and Pictures said...

So pretty, Linda - what an enchanting card! I love the delicate pinks, and the heart looks delicious - and I really mean that - it looks like an amazing sugar-encrusted biscuit (sorry - cookie?!)... Fabulous texture!
Alison xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A breathtaking and wonderful romantic looking card.

marda said...

Perfect Valentine's card..love all the elements you've used so beautifully.

Pam said...

Love your card, Linda! Those layered hearts are gorgeous. This is definitely you!

Terry said...

Hey there Linda, my goodnesss your heart is fabulous love the layered flower and the texture of the card is just AMAZING wowwzersss Hugs Terry xxxx

Laurart said...

Hi Linda! That is amazing - Really beautiful. I am the same about copying others styles - I see things and want to be able to do them the same but my own style holds firm and won't let me wander very far. I am joining the Frilly and Funkie challenge for the first time so thought I would pop over here and say hello! Laura xxx

Hettie said...

Gorgeous card Linda and well done for using vintage thread. I would be far too reluctant (tight) to use it! The hearts are just gorgeous.
Have a great weekend.
xx

Marjie Kemper said...

Wish I could see this one in person - that heart is practically popping right through the screen! Beautiful make.

Sharon Wheet said...

Oh my Linda! What an absolutely beautiful card! I love the soft feminine touches, and the hearts are to die for!
TFS!
hugs, sharon w.
p.s. I'm a follower of LilyBean Paperie, too. And I totally get the 'not being able to copy someone's style' as I have my own, too. Have a fabulous week!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com