Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Wishing You All the Best in 2013

 
Happy New Year!  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and a terrific celebration to ring in the new year last night.  I am excited to be kicking off the new in my new location and my new home in Gainesville, Florida.  Of course, I will miss Miami and all my friends but it is exciting to be starting a new chapter in my life.

I want to thank everyone for all their tremendous support over the past 6 months.  I can't tell you how much it meant to me while my life was in such upheaval during that time.  The whole process of getting the house ready to sell, showing it to prospective buyers and then the endless looking, looking, looking for something in the new area.  And then the tremendous physical work of packing and moving, unpacking and getting settled really wore me down.  At 60 years of age, I am not as spry as I used to be and I've had day after day of aching bones and muscles - LOL!  I am so happy to say that it is almost all behind me now!  We are about 80% unpacked and settled.  Of course, we still have a lot of decorating to do, but most of the house is organized and looks neat and tidy - all except my craft area.  My new craft room is only a couple of feet shorter in each direction than the old one, but my goodness does it ever feel cramped!  I still have stacks of stuff sitting on the floor that I have no shelf space for.  I'm twisting the DH's arm to hang some nice looking wall shelves that I can use to store craft items as well as my own art work.  I got rid of a lot of supplies/stash before I moved, but I think I am going to have to trim down some more.

Here is the first piece I have made in my new space.  I didn't have any particular deadline that I had to produce a sample for so I decided to kick the new year off with something just for fun.  I didn't make any New Year's resolutions this year so I didn't have anything special to shape my piece around.  My goal is really just to settle in and also look after my health.  I have a couple of small health challenges and want to make sure I focus on them and handle them properly.  I am looking forward to getting out to walk more and I have already invested in a bicycle to get more fresh air and exercise.  There miles and miles of walking/bike trails in my new area and I am looking forward to taking advantage of them.

I decided to kick off the new year with Tim Holtz's January tag.  Here is my interpretation of his tag.  I loved that he used the Pocket Watch texture fade as a base.  For my time element, I used the Weathered Clock die, cut a piece of chipboard and embossed it with the Verdigris embossing powder.  The effect wasn't quite coppery enough so I dabbed it with the Antiqued Bronze metallic stain.  I also went a little crazy with the embossing powder, using it on the tiny gear, the long brads and the hinge clip.  The sponging was done with Broken China and Dried Marigold.  Those colors were also used to die the seam binding.  The large flower was cut wit the Tattered Florals die and the small ones with the Tattered Flowers Garland Decorative Strip Die.

Whew, I haven't made anything in a couple of weeks and it was hard to get back into the groove again. But this was fun and I'm happy with the way it turned out.  Thanks so much for stopping by and for all the lovely comments!



26 comments:

Penny Wessenauer (d0npen) said...

love your new tag Linda.. rather a feminine take on Tim's tag.. Congratulations on getting settled.. a big job at our age! LOL!!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Linda

What a delight to hear that you are settling into your new home, I hope you and you're husband are going to be very happy there.
It must have felt good for you to be creating again after weeks of being in an upheaval, but thankfully that is all behind you, and my wish is that 2013 will be a creative and prosperous one for you.
I think your tag is gorgeous, it has wonderful texture, with plenty of elements and layers, everything is pleasing to the eye.
Smiles :-)
Sue

Yvonne Garner said...

Thanks for the update Linda! It is very helpful to me, as this is my year to get our home on the market. Just a year younger than you, I know it is going to be draining, but I am excited for a new chapter. Happy New Year!

marda said...

I really like your tag, as always your "take" on things is perfect.
Glad that all has gone well with your move and you're getting settled. Take care of yourself...what you don't get done today will still be there tomorrow and the day after!!! Ha. I had to learn to just pace myself and not feel I was on a time clock with all that needs doing after a move. Health comes first.
Happy New Year

Enigma said...

I love this tag, it has certainly given me some inspiration, thank you.
I am so glad to hear you are settling well in your new home. I would love to see some pictures of the area, it sounds like a dream to me! I live in London and have never visited the USA.
Happy New Year

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Welcome to your new home, Linda! It will all get done...and then you will decide to change/move something...I think it takes several months to really get settled in.

I love your take on Tim's tag. The weathered clock face is a perfect choice, and all the little calendars along the top edge are cool. You haven't lost any of your mojo, just so you know!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tag I love the soft welcoming colors.... So so pretty.

Unknown said...

Ooh Linda, I love how your tag turned out! Awesome colors :)

Hope your new year is blessed!

Bast said...

LOVE how the ta turned out. The lace and the peal accents are just gorgeous!

A very Happy, Healthy and Crafty new Year to all! I am glad you are getting settled in your new home :)

Hugz

KimMJ

Words and Pictures said...

Huge congratulations on getting your house move all done and over with, and all the unpacking too! Give yourselves a break before the decorating... much deserved I should think. Hope you find a joyous new life adventure in your new home!

And what a wonderful tag to kick off 2013 - fantastic take on Tim's (which I also loved), with your inimitable style into the bargain... gorgeous!
Alison xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning take on Timmy's tag! Love your feminine twist to it.
Congrats on being this far settled already! A new craft room will of course be a big challenge... when we moved from our 13 room house into a two bedroom flat (after our kids left home) I had to adjust from a whole room to a corner in a shared study... but I agree with Alison, give yourself a break!
Hope you have a fantastic New Year in your new place and home and best of luck!!

Pam said...

Love your tag, Linda! It is gorgeous.
I'm so happy for you that you are settling in and getting things back to "normal". I've missed your posts and your creativity.

Barb Cady said...

Hi Linda, I always look at your blog, your work is fabulous and this tag is no exception, may I also wish you all joy and happiness in your new home. Remember Parkinson's law, all work expands to fit the space, I'm sure the reverse should apply and that your new craft room will fit perfectly once you are really settled in! Happy New Year to you. X

Jenny Marples said...

Love this version of Tim's tag Linda. Using the verdigris with the copper is especially effective and the clock is always a winner. Can't believe how quickly you've pulled things together in your new home. You are a wonder. Wishing you the happiest of times ahead in that glorious sunshine. Hugs, Jenny xxx

Terry said...

Hey there Linda, I love your Tag, the background is just great and the colours fabulous. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your very sweet comment on my blog. I am very honoured to be working alongside you as we used too. Thank you Linda. Hugs Terry xxxx

Donna Gibson said...

Gorgeous tag Linda! I love the colors you used. I'm so happy that you are getting settled in your new home. Just take things one day at a time!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I was drawn to your colour combo as I saw it on the thumbnails at TH. Dried Marigold would have to be the one colour I actually took a dislike to and therefore only ever got the inkpad. I've only ever used it to make a colour sample for my charts, lol. I may have to have another look at it and try it like you have.
I've been reading your blog and challenges for the past few months and was thinking of joining in one day soon. I hear you on the house move and all too. Good luck for the New Year.

Kim Dellow said...

Beautiful Linda! Happy New Year and good luck in all your new beginnings. Kim

Nancy S said...

I just found your blog and think I will stay awhile! Your tag is lovely. Welcome to your new home, you are almost in my neck of the woods of Jacksonville!

Terry said...

Breathtaking take on Tim's tag, Linda! Love all the details! I am so happy that you are home and getting all settled in. Well I will remain a part of F&F, but in a slightly different way. I wish you all the best in 2013 and don't be a stranger! Hugs and thank you again!

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

I love your color combinations. This is a great first creation from your new craft room.

Inkypinkycraft said...

Love your take on Tims tags...hope you get settled soon! Trace x

Runs with Scissors said...

As always, just an incredible work of art. I've just been admiring the cards and tags I got from you before the move. I so enjoy them. Make health your #1 concern, and thrilling us with your creations #2. Glad you're in your new home.

Unknown said...

I am doing the blog rounds from Tims site and your tag is so different cos you have totally got that vintage lacey feel to it. Its lovely and reading your blog post, I would like to wish you happiness, health and peace in your new home. Cx

Claudia N. said...

Found your tag in Tim's link-list for the january-tag and have to tell you how I love your take on it, Linda!

It's a "Linda"-tag, but you also can detect the TH influence. Very cleverly done!

Hugs,
die amelie x

Unknown said...

It’s good to hear you had all the support you needed during the entire process, Linda. :) I believe feeling the presence of your family and friends and their sense of reliability are the things that really count. Selling your house from one buyer to another can get wearisome as time passes, after all. Glad you’re through that. :) -->Romana Priolo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com