Saturday, February 6, 2010

You Make My Heart Sing!


Before Valentine's Day comes, I needed to make a couple of cards suitable for guys. I think I've pretty much run the gammet with feminine Valentine's cards for this year and it was fun making one for a guy. Since this is my month to be hostess over at Our Creative Corner, I thought a good first challenge would be to make a masculine Valentine.

I wanted to do a vintage guy card and what I actually had in mind was a photo or an ad for an antique car with a sentiment of "You're a classic" or something similar. But when I came across this motorcycle ad, the ideas started popping and I had to go with it. This image came from Heidi at Shabby Chic Papirskatter. The CS is Night of Navy and Bordering Blue with some gray DSP also from SU. The sentiments were both computer generated. I actually created the seal myself on the computer. The square sentiment was cut with Labels One Nestabilities and the frame stamp is from Waltzing Mouse Stamps. They have a number of what they call Nestie Friendly stamps - stamps that work perfectly with Spellbinder's Nestabilities.

I used aluminum foil for the Diamond Plate EF since I don't have any of the craft foil sold for that purpose. The way I did it worked, but not great. I used three layers of foil. I was afraid they would separate so I spread a very thin layer of glue between each layer. Then I glued a sheet of cardstock to the bottom layer. I let the glue dry for about an hour. Well, let me warn you, glue between foil takes FOREVER to dry because no air gets in there. When I pressed the foil with the EF and Cuttlebug, it squeezed the glue out the end of the embossing folder. What a mess - I had glue all over!!

The wings and heart are Tim Holtz Grungeboard type chipboard. I painted them with Distrss Crackle paint - white that I mixed a drop of Night of Navy reinker into. When dry, I pressed them into my gray stamp pad to grung them up a bit. I really like the way the paint came out - sort of verigated in color and then has the dark gray on it. Grunging things up is one of my favorite crafting activities - LOL!! The screw brads came from Michael's and probably the silver key did too. The winged heart brad is by Marah Johnson for Creative Imaginations. That's about it for this card. Let me know if you have any questions.

And right now, hurry over Our Creative Corner and check out the Valentine each of the DTs have made for a man in their life.

Thanks for stopping by. Wishing you a fabulous weekend!

Challenges entered:

Crazy for Challenges C4C23 - Be My Valentine
Bee Crafty - Romance (must include a digi - mine is the LOVE seal I created on my computer)
Stampin' for the Weekend - Love is in the air - Valentine's preparations
Stamp Something - Love Somethings
CCEE - Hearts & Charms
ABC Designs - I Love You Sweetheart
Drunken Stampers - Valentines with a twist of metal
Humble Pie - Love

40 comments:

Lori Rider said...

Linda, this is very cool - I love all the elements you brought together and created to make this awesome card. Your handmade seal is really cool, and I'm going to have to check out the Nesties stamps you mentioned. Wonderful card for a wonderful challenge!

Hanne said...

This card is just great!
Hanne

LorettaL said...

Linda, I love this card!!! That sentiment is FABULOUS!!! Where did you get it? Thanks for the marvelous challenge!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't think could pull off a masculine Valentine card....you did it with flying colors! It's beautiful!

LorettaL said...

Linda, I recognized the Waltzing Mouse frame - love those things!!! - But that sentiment is outrageous (in a good way). I know nothing about Photoshop, and can barely use my computer. I'm hooped if I have to print a digi stamp without my DD home! I think you might have just given me the nudge (shove) I need to move forward with my computer!

Wendy J. said...

Great man card, Linda! You did a great job with the computer generated pieces. Love the overall biker look! Thanks for the challenge!

Joseline said...

BEAUTIFUL card Linda!! You always seem to amaze me!!

Unknown said...

What a great card, so many fun elements to look at. I just love the layering you do on all your cards!

Anonymous said...

Ooh Linda this is fantastic ! I would never have thought of digging out the kitchen foil ! I love the way the wings have turned out. Another winner ! Sue C x

Jaana said...

I love this card! Just great..

Justine said...

This is outstanding, I adore everything about it. I will tell you that I had to laugh a bit with the glue squishing out. That is so something I would do. Patience is not one of my strongest traits but I can't wait to try this. Maybe I will use double side tape?

Donna said...

Wow, your card is amazing Linda, so much attention to detail and the distressing looks fantastic :) Donna x

Rosanne said...

Gorgeous card!

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Wow! Every single detail is perfect! Thanks so much for playing with us at ABC Toys & Crafts!

Michelle's Daydreams said...

Linda, this is wonderful! I love it and everything else you've created recently! Gorgeous eye-candy! :)

Laura said...

Fantastic collage. Great elements. Thanks for joining us at Gingersnaps.

Jenny Gropp said...

This is such a great MAN card -- all the elements are so PERFECT. A knockout! Love it!

Eiglas said...

What a cool card! LOVE the bike!
Thank you for coming over to play at C.R.A.F.T!
Hugs,
Eiglas
x

Claire Phillips said...

What a fantastic card - great combination! Thanks for playing along at C.R.A.F.T. this week in our Valentine/love challenge! Cheers Claire x

Juls said...

wow this is amazing!!! Love the whole collage thing! Hugs Juls

Anonymous said...

Love your card, thanks for playing along with the Drunken Stampers this week!
Peggy

Joycelyn Pelkey said...

Oh wow!!! Your work always amazes me week in and week out!!! This card is certainly no exception...FABULOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

I just love, love, love your take on a masculine Valentine's card. It's simply perfect! Thanks for playing with us this week at Drunken Stampers!

Hugs
~Spike

Linda Ledbetter said...

LOVE this! Fabulous composition. You made all those elements work together perfectly! I'm inspired.

Phebe Meeder said...

love both cards----both beautifully done

Mummylade said...

Awesome card, I totally love it. I'm glad you joined the SFTW challenge this fortnight and good luck!

Suzi Mac said...

A Gorgeous card, love the image and all the textures. Thank you for joining us at C.R.A.F.T. this week. Good luck in the draw.
Hugs Suzi x

Girlsinthecraft said...

I just love this piece. I can see the Tim Holtz influence ;) Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Nancy in Iowa said...

Your cards are so wonderful! Your instructions are very details and much appreciated. I will may your blog a frequent stop.

I'm going back to click on your 'older posts' - so much inspirtation - thank you.

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Way cool masculine collage!! Love all the fabulous details!! Thanks so much for joining us in our CCEE Challenge this week!! :o)

Sandie said...

Oh WOW, I just love it!!! Fantastic design and the sentiments are perfect!

Thanks for joining us on Stampin' for the Weekend and Stamp Something this week!

Joanne (jojot) said...

this is so cool....masculine vintage....and so personalized in collage form...thanks for playing with the CCEE

Unknown said...

Oh I love this one too! I love the grungboard heart and wings! I have NEVER used mine and it is at least almost 2 years old! You have inspired me! I also love the old vintage Triumph image, my uncle has an old 69 Triumph. Thanks for joining in again at Humble Pie!
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Sue Lelli said...

OOOH! SO FAB! LOVE the Wild Thing!

Zoe said...

Another eye pop! This is super fantastic for a male. I just love it! Thanks so much for shairing your gorgeous talent with us at Humble Pie this week.

Hugs

Zoe

crafty amy said...

Wow wow wow! Vintage and a mans card I can do neither very well but now I am all inspired Thank you :D
Thank you for joining us at stampin' for the weekend and good luck.

X Amy X

Bee said...

Beautifully designed and made vintage card, what a great card for a man. Thanks for joining in the Bee Crafty Challenge :)

Maureen said...

Wow - what a great card! Love all the elements, especially the charm! Thanks for playing along with us at Your Next Stamp!

JulesinParadise said...

Love everything about the card...and that was one of my favorite songs during high school. Way to go!

Ali Manning said...

This card is so cool and fun! Thanks for joining us at Gingersnap Creations!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com