Wednesday, February 17, 2010

You Light Up My Life - A Sepia Challenge


This week, the challenge at the Creative Inspirations Wednesday Challenge Blog is to make a sepia card. I was a little nervous about this assignment too, since I am pretty new to the design team I wanted to make a seriously nice card. Then I saw this Tiffany lamp, a Friday Freebie from Sugar Creek Hollow and everything just clicked. I was off and running.

The designer paper is from K&Co., and the brown textured CS is from the DCWV Heritage Pack. It came textured and then I ran it through the CB Textile embossing folder. Once embossed, I used a sanding block on it to reveal the white core. Then I scissor distressed the edges and sponged the entire panel with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo distress ink. The edges of the main DP panel were cut with a Spellbinders die and sponged with Vintage Photo ink. The frame around the lamp is also a digital image from Sugar Creek Hollow. I don't think it's for sale yet. I have it because I am on the Grand Opening design team. That panel was also sponged with Vintage Photo distress ink. I made up the sentiment and printed it on my home computer. It was cut with a Spellbinders tag die.

Now here's the part I'm not sure about. See how the lamp shade is sort of cloudy looking? Well I tried watercoloring it with my Vintage Photo ink, but that smeared the printer ink, even though I had heat set it. I covered it over with gold Distress Stickles and I like how it looks. But then I was thinking it was too cloudy, so I makde another lamp shade and colored it with Copics. Then I glazed it with Crystal Effects. The updated photo is below. My dilema - I can't decide which I like better. I think its the first version. Even though it the lampshade looks cloudy, it think it looks weathered and attractive. Which one do you prefer? Leave me a comment and let me know!




Once you solve my dilema, I hope you will hop over to Creative Inspirations and see the awesome sepia creations the rest of the team designed. This week our prize is a 10% discount at Happy Hippo and the chance to be our guest designer for the month of March! So what are you waiting for? Let's see those sepia creations!!

Hope you're having a great week!

Blessings,

Challenges entered:
Little Paper Shop - Distressing
Tuesday Throwdown - Distressing
Handful of Stamps - Open Challenge

22 comments:

Hearts Turned said...

Gorgeous card, Linda--really caught my eye--vintage is fabulous!
I think both lamp shades look great--well done!

Christine said...

I like both ways! :)

Beverly G said...

You can't go wrong with K&Co & DCWV, love their papers, I vote for card #1, love the soft subtle effect.You're very deserving of your spot on the team.

Joseline said...

Both cards are beautiful Linda!

Unknown said...

I Think both card are just stunning, like all your work! If I had to pick one I would pick the first one.

Janiel/ janny said...

Linda JUST STUNNING!!!!! I love this card!! I have to tell you that I LOVE the top card with the image that you call cloudy. It looks like that old fashioned frosted glass to me!! LOVE all of you little details!!
BEAUTIUFL CARD!!!!!
big hugs my teamie.
Janiel

CarlaKH said...

wow this is just gorgeous.. love the tones you used and all the elements...I like the first one a bit better but nothing wrong with the second either!

stephanne said...

Hi Linda, congratulations to you on the design team position, already, you are wowing us with Sugar Creek Hollow images, I can't wait to see more in the future ;) The elements of your card look perfect, I like both of the lamp shades, they are both good for different reasons. The top is perfectly suited for the colour pallette, the second glimmers like a Tiffany lamp would. Wonderful work!!
Take Care,
Stephanne

Unknown said...

Hi Linda - thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting on my card for the OCC challenge. I have now uploaded a paper roses tutorial so please come back, have a look and let me know what you think.

http://paulaspaperplayground.blogspot.com/2010/02/handmade-paper-roses-tutorial.html

Paula x x x

Anonymous said...

I really love Sepia and you have done a stunning job, as usual. I do like both shades, but I think the first fits in with the distressed feel. Both are gorgeous ! Sue C x

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Love the colors of your blog, your header, and this card is beautiful. We are always our worse critics. Fabulous designs. Blessings, Tammy

Tammy said...

Both cards are stunning Linda!! I love all the gorgeous details!

Hugs, Tammy

Beautiful Greetings said...

These are stunning Linda! I like card #1 because it creates a softness to the card. Hmm...but card two looks like the flare of a Tiffany lamp. Love em both!

Tracy Vinson said...

SUPER STUNNING!!!

Tracy Vinson said...

Super Stunning Linda!

Allison Rankin said...

Super fab! ♥ the papers!

Donna Moore said...

Gorgeous! I love sepia!!

Cheri said...

Gorgeous! I think you rocked this challenge!

Tasha said...

this is stunning - really vintage and decadent! i love it
love tasha xx

Kim said...

Beautiful card! I love the vintage look. Thanks for joining us for this week's Tuesday Throwdown.

Ceal said...

Beautiful. Great take on the challenge thanks for playing in the Tuesday throwdown

Unknown said...

Wow very pretty, thanks so much for playing along with HFOS.
Trish

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com