Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Totally Spooky!

Hi there, I'm back again...this time with a spooky tag I made for Our creative Corner. Our host for this month is Julia and her challenge to us is to make a tag with a Halloween theme and texture. I really enjoyed the theme for this challenge.  I just love vintage Halloween items.

I took the texture part really seriously. Here are a few pictures of the piece as I made it.
I grabbed one of the jumbo manila tags I sell in the boutique and stamped the script stamp from Apothecary in Jet Black archival ink and clear embossed it.  I like doing black embossing that way because I don't have to deal with stray flecks of black EP where I don't want them.  Next I put Black Soot, Brushed Pewter and Seedless Grapes distress paints on my craft sheet, spritzed on a bit of water and dragged the tag through until it was covered.  I'm not sure where the greeny-gold came from by apparently from the blending of those colors.  
The black embossed script sort of got lost with all the paint on it so I added more script in silver embossing.
Wanting still more texture, I added diamonds with a Wendy Vecchi stencil and her silver embossing paste.  I had a problem with the paste oozing out around the stencil opening and I don't know why.  I thought I was holding the stencil very tight against the tag but it still messed up.  At that point I was pretty annoyed because I was really pleased with how the tag was developing so for.  So I decided just to smear it more and took a credit card and dragged it downward and smeared it all.  (I actually ended up liking that look better than the diamonds)
The skull was stamped with Jet Black archival and coated with Clear Rock Candy crackle paint and I broke out my new Tim Holtz Distress Glitter in Seedless Preserves and Black Soot.  Unfortunately, the black glittered spider doesn't show up very well in this photo.  The backing for the skull is the new foil cardstock from Ranger, run through the spider web texture fade and painted with black acrylic paint dabber which was then rubbed off for a tarnished effect.

I dyed some white eyelash yarn with Seedless Grapes distress stain (thanks to Tracie for the inspiration to use the yarn).  I am really pleased with this piece and will also be entering it into Tim Holtz's October tag challenge.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Be sure to head over to Our Creative Corner to see the wonderful samples there!



These items used to make this tag are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

19 comments:

Barb Cady said...

Spookily fabulous Linda! I so want that ornate frame and I didn't think I would when I first saw it. Love the layers and textures you have used. X

Redanne said...

I really love the fabulous background you created and the skull in the frame looks wonderful. A gorgeous spooky halloween tag. x

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Gorgeous spooky tag, love it. Thanks for the steps that you took, loved reading how you created this design. Shirleyx

Karenliz Henderson said...

Linda, Love your tag! Halloween is my favorite! Gorgeous.

Maryanne said...

I love this tag, Linda! I love vintage Halloween, too. The background is great and I love the embossed foil paper behind the skull.

Claudia N. said...

Seems the smeared paste was a happy accident as I think it fits the halloween mood much more than the neat and clean version, Linda!

Love the colours and all the embossing too!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Jane said...

Wow Linda I love the colours you mixed...just like a witches cauldron...thanks so much for sharing how you made your gorgeous tag. It's fab :0) x

Jenny Marples said...

Love the way the paints have reacted with each other here Linda and the silver elements really set it all off. Jenny x

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous tag and great step by step photos!! Love the colours you have used! Spooky and stunning both at the same time!

Unknown said...

Awesome Tag. I love all the purple.

Happy Crafting
Tracie

Viv said...

Oooo scary!! Great job Linda! x

Julia S-W said...

Linda, this tag is simply stunning! I love, love how you've made that background and all the techniques you've used. I have to say, I much prefer your diamonds after the card treatment and have made a mental note of that idea! The colours are beautiful - spooky, rich and perfect for Halloween. Last but not least, you included one of my favourites: embossing - I just love it!
Thanks for making such a fantastic piece for my challenge.
Juliax

Words and Pictures said...

Ooh, I think the smeary diamonds are perfect for Halloween - like they've oozed a bit - eeurgh! - and very cool! Love the colours you've used, and am now tempted by the Black Soot glitter, though I'm generally not a glitter fan - Rock Candy dry glitter is the most I'll go for!! Fabulous tag, Linda.
Alison xx

rachel said...

absolutely adore this tag Linda - fabulous xx

Dagmar said...

what a fantastic spooky tag!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your tag, especially the colors!!

marda said...

Holy Halloween Batman!!! This is great. Love the purple.

Hanna said...

Wow!!! What a perfect Halloween tag! Looove how you've smeared out the paste , it looks so spooky and fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing the behind-the-scene photos, they are very inspiring!

Hugs
Hanna

Donna Gibson said...

Hi Linda, I love your tag! Very gothic looking with lots of yummy texture. I like the smeared diamonds too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com