Sunday, October 13, 2013

Challenge: 12 Tags of Christmas - Funkie Junkie Style - Week #4

Click twice for a close up to see the details.
 I can hardly believe that it's Monday again and time for Week #4 of the 12 Christmas tags challenge.  How does the time fly by so fast?  I had a busy week...finished my taxes, shipped over 50 orders from the Boutique, cleaned my house and entertained house guests for the weekend, all the while training for a 60+ mile bike ride, which I cycled in on Saturday.  So Sunday, it was back to the craft table to finish a couple of DT pieces due this coming week plus come up with the design for Tag #4 to inspire you (I hope you are playing along).

This was a tough one.  It's funny how sometimes a piece will come together easily and other times it will be such a struggle.  This was the latter.  I think I fiddled around with it for over 3 hours!  I knew I wanted to use some of the yummy designer paper from the Maja Design It's Christmas Time collection but didn't have a design in mind.  I started by cutting/tearing two strips of the paper to use for my background and had the brainstorm of running a strip of embossing paste lengthwise along each edge and then dry embossing it when it was dry.  I thought it would add a nice texture to tie piece.  So I mixed up a blog of white embossing paste (probably about 2 tbsp) and mixed in about 3 drops of Iced Spruce reinker.  I spread it along the edges and smoothed it out with a credit card.  When dry, I embossed it with the one of the border texture fades from the Valentine's Backgrounds and Borders set.  The burlap squares were a quick and easy idea, brushing them with a dab of gesso to add more of a country look.  I started to cut the letters with the new foil cardstock and the Vintage Marketplace strip die, but then remembered these Cirque Industrious Sticker letters which I absolutely love and which match the Industrious borders.  I ended up using both and really like the way it looks.

I used the Tattered Poinsettia and the Mini Poinsettia dies to cut more of the Maja designs papers.  I topped off my flowers with some pretty silver end caps from my jewelry making supplies.

That's all folks.  Now it's your turn.  Hope you will play along.  If this is your first time to join in, please read all the challenge requirements here.  You can play any time through December 22nd and you can play in any order.  Just get it done and link it up!  Hope to see you playing along this week.


These products are available a The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

19 comments:

marda said...

All that effort paid off.. this is stunning. I love the colors you've used. The Maja papers are just fantastic.

Brenda Brown said...

I know what you mean about the way things come together sometimes and my pieces can often take days until I am happy with them. I love the panelled look to this tag and the pretty poinsettias. Mmmmm my brain is turning ideas over already , thanks for another fabulously inspired tag.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful, I love the different layers & textures & dry embossing the texture paste was a great idea. Thinking cap definitely on for this week.

Redanne said...

Your tag is beautiful Linda, I love those papers, there is a hint of nostalgia about them. Well done on the bike ride too! Anne x

Karenliz Henderson said...

Linda, this tag is stunning. WOW

Viv said...

Well worth all the effort - stunningly beautiful.

Barb Cady said...

Well done on all your effort, riding as well as crafting! You have certainly made a winner here and got me thinking for this week. I love the way you 'do' country, this is a brilliant tag! X

Lisa Minckler said...

Goodness gracious Linda...you are my hero! I loved reading about all your fabulous plans and how active you and the boutique are. You sound like you're doing wonderful in your new place and this years tags are FANTASTIC. I'm so excited about this one. Haven't started yet, but collecting all the photos for future reference. Incredible job on all your endeavors and again, thank you for the always superb inspiration you give me.
Hugs to you,
Lisa x

Words and Pictures said...

Very cool technique with the embossing paste and folders combined... and I love those Industrious letters against the rustic burlap. Another stunning creation, Linda - I'll be along to play at some point, I promise, but it's definitely going to be a catch-up game for me this year!
Alison xx

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Linda. Hopefully I can catch up this week! Sounds like we have both been busy but with friends is fun!
xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Vintage and country feeling rolled into one gorgeous tag!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Linda, also your tag #4 looks wonderful, it's very inspiring again. Thanks for this great challenge.

Claire said...

HI Linda, ooooh your tags for this years challenge are just gorgeous! I'm late so will be playing catch up again but I just wanted to thank you for all your inspiration - now I'd better get creating lol
Claire xx

Annie said...

Love the shabby chic design on this tag. Truly inspiring

Annie x

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I love this one Linda...the colours, design, everything!!! Strangely, mine has turned out very similar! Lol!
Cheers,
Alison xxx

Jane said...

I loved all the textures with this one Linda and the ribbon...I am nearly up to date. #5 made but needs to be photographed. Enjoy the weekend x

Zuzu's Blog said...

what lovely muted tones. i love this tag.
I am a real late comer, only joining in on week 6!! made 6 tags today to catch up. you can tell too LOL. some are a bit sad. but from here on in, i will have the full week to do a decent job. thanks for running this tag challenge. x

Lisa Minckler said...

Okie dokie...here we go! I know I'm incredibly late, but I'm devoted. I've submitted the first 4 and I'll keep like an elf in a toy shop 'til I'm done! :D
HUGS to you Linda and thanks again :)
Lisa x

Julie Lee said...

I love those poinsettias and the use of burlap. The colours on this tag are so exciting too! Really lovely effects. Julie Ann xx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com