Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Arsenic and Old Lace

Double click to zoom in for details
Hello friends and followers!  I'm back, running a little late on my design team post for Frilly and Funkie on account of the Artistic Outpost blog hop on Wednesday.  I don't like to do two postings in one day so I held this one up a day.  If you stopped by Frilly and Funkie on Wednesday, you have already seen this as well as the other seriously COOL pieces that the Frilly girls put out for your inspiration.  Our host for the two-week challenge is Nancy Dynes and she has asked us to offer up some thrills and chills with a vintage-style Halloween make.  Here is my vintage gothic style Halloween tag.  

I started with a jumbo manila tag and stamped it with jet black archival using the script stamp from Tim Holtz's Apothecary set and then sponged the whole tag with Dusty Concord DI.  Then I took Dusty Concord distress stain and drizzled it down the tag.  The color was much more intense applying the stain.  After drying with my heat tool, I used the Gothic stencil and Wendy Vecchi's black embossing paste (LOVE the black!!), applying it in a non-uniform fashion.  The Distress Doily die cut was cut from a piece of waste tag that I messed up a couple of projects back.  It was painted with two coats of Black Soot distress paint and then I tried to stencil the gothic stencil on it with Wendy's silver embossing paste but it sort of oozed out to much.  I just went over it again with black distress paint which is why it has sort of a silvery sheen to it. 

The flower was made with two layers of die cuts from the Jumbo Tattered Florals die and the rest of the layers were cut with the Tattered Flowers decorative strip die.  I stamped the white CS with the Apothecary script stamp in Jet Black Archival, then sponged them with Vintage Photo and edged them with Black Soot DI.  I didn't have any Brushed Pewter distress stain so I mixed a bit of Pewter Perfect Pearls and water in a Mini Mister and lightly misted the flower layers before assembling.  While they were wet, I scrunched them and dried them like that.  Once dry, I gently unfurled them and glued the layers together.  The leaves were cut from white CS with the Tattered Flowers die, colored with black distress paint, dried, coated with Glossy Accents and had Black Soot distress glitter applied.  
The poison label is also from Apothecary as is the label blank stamped at the bottom.  The gumdrop is from my shop, exactly like Tim Holtz's new product, just a teeny bit smaller.  I colored it with a Copic marker but they can also be colored with any of the Adorandak alcohol inks.  (In fact, if you receive a little Halloween thank you gift with an order from The Funkie Junkie Boutique, you might get a black one that we hand dyed for you with Pitch Black alcohol ink.)

The seam binding was dyed with Peeled Paint distress ink and I mopped the eyelash yarn through my Perfect Pearls mist on my craft sheet to make it silver.  
Here's my creepy sentiment.  I used a portion of a stamp from the Tim Holtz Simple Sayings set and a  Chit Chat sticker from the Seasonal pack.  I love this tag!  Hope you to do.

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comments!


The products below were used to make the above tag.  They are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Tim Holtz/Ranger and most other name-brand products are always 20% below MSRP.


10 comments:

Jane said...

A brilliant tag Linda it has such a vintage gothic feel and the pop of green is perfect....I can hear the cackle of a witch when I look at it! Xx

Jenny Marples said...

So many wonderful elements here Linda. LOVE that background and the spooky trims - you are so good with projects for this season. Jenny x

Maryanne said...

Fabulous, Linda! I LOVE vintage Halloween and your arsenic and old lace theme is great! I love the purple, green and black color scheme too! And, thanks for the tip of using Copic or alchol ink for dying the little embellishments.

Unknown said...

Completely LOVE this Linda!! LOVE the black & purple color scheme--so very gothic & spooky!! Plus, just love the title of your post--Arsenic & Old Lace :) One of my ALL TIME fav Cary Grant movies :) I even named a pig we had Mortimer :) He was delicious ;) :) XOXO-Shari T.

Cec said...

What a great tag - both spooky and elegant at the same time. Love all the purple and black with pops of green and orange.
Hugs!
Cec

Redanne said...

The background on your tag is simply gorgeous Linda. I agree with Cec, it is spooky and yet elegant all at the same time! Hugs, Anne xx

Barb Cady said...

Stunning Linda, what a brilliant idea for the season! I love the colours and the background is brilliant. Hugs, Barb x

Sue said...

Great tag Linda. So many elements and textures packed into a small space.

sarascloset said...

Oh my, Goodness! Yes! I LOVE this tag with all it's Halloween colors and hint of spookiness. I think your lace doily came out perfect, even though it wasn't what you were initially going for. The Gothic stencil/black paste is perfect. And the gumdrop is to die for. I was so happy to get my order ALREADY and there are so many cute little gifts you've included that I can use on my project. Alas, no gumdrop! I hope that means you have been busy! Great tag--truly love it all!

Nancy Dynes said...

You've totally captured the 'arsenic and old lace' feel with your hauntingly beautiful tag, Linda!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your color palette! Purple is one of my favorite Halloween colors, and the way you drizzled down the distress stain over the DI gives it such a perfectly spooky feel. Your work with the texture paste is so elegant, and the gorgeous embellishments are the icing on the cake! I never thought of staining my fun fur fibers with the distress inks before, but now that you've shown such wonderful results I'll save sooooo much money not having to purchase them in every single color on the spectrum. Thank you so much for sharing your tag and that wonderful tip!
Hugs,
Nancy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com