Friday, March 27, 2009

Take & Eat

I purchased the First Holy Communion set last year from Our Daily Bread Designs and used it to make several cards. It's a really beautiful set and one that I am sure to use over and over again. Since it's the time of year when many children are making their first communion, I wanted to do something really special. Here is the outcome of my efforts. The color purple doesn't seem to really be true with either my camera or my photo editing software because the real color is a little
more on the purple side than the photo depicts.

The image is stamped on Whisper White with Stewart Superior India Ink and watercolored with a combination of watercolor pencils and watercolor crayons. I was actally just messing around with this edition of the image, sort of doing a draft. I liked the way it came out so well that I decided to go ahead and use it for my card. The purple cardstock is Creative Memories that I ran through the Script embossing folder with my Cuttlebug and then brayered gold ink lightly over it. The cross in the background is the center die cut from the Spellbinders Frameabilities die. I had to lengthen the vertical piece by cutting it, which is covered up by the main image. I thought it needed a little something more so I cut the corner pieces from the same die set and then added the gold pearls for a final effect.
I thought the inside panels came out really beautiful. The sentiment, beautiful in itself, was heat embossed with Gold Detail EP and framed with the outer portion of the Spellbinders Frameabilities die. It was too tall so I cut it and collapsed it. Then of course, I had to patch the cuts so they wouldn't show. I used the same corner pieces that I used for the front, this time in purple and stenciled them with gold ink. The corners of the right-hand panel are punched with a Fiskars corner punch and the panel is edged in gold.
Now that I have it finished, I think it is probably to adult-looking for a child's First Communion. But adults who have gone through the process to join the Catholic Church also have a first communion so I think it would work great for an adult. Or since I didn't put the matching stamp on it that says "God Bless You on your First Holy Communion", it could be used for any Christian celebration. As a happy conincidence, the card layout matches the March 21st sketch for Our Creative Corner so I am going to link it there.
Card Recipe:
Stamps: First Holy Communion by Our Daily Bread Designs
Card Stock: Purple from Creative Memories, Whisper White, Really Rust and Gold from Stampin' Up!,
Ink: Versamark, Encore Ultimate Metallic Gold, Really Rust from SU, Watercolor Pencils and Watercolor Crayons
Accessories: Cuttlebug Script Embossing Folder, Spellbinders Frameabilities die, Spellbinders Rectangle Nestabilities, gold pearls from Michael's, gold embossing powder, sewing machine, Fiskars corner punch
Wishing you a wonderful weekend,

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com