Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Perfectly Wendy!

Double click any image to zoom in for details.


We are kicking off the Funkie week of our Wendy Vecchi celebration over at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny Marples is our hostess and her challenge theme is 'It's All About Wendy'. For this challenge, you just need to make something in Wendy's style. You don't have to use any of her products. Check out her amazing talent on her blog and the skedaddle over to Frilly and Funkie and link up your own amazing Wendy project. 

For my Funkie project, I decided to alter an Art Parts Journal Cover. This cover set is a perfect fit for Wendy's smaller stamp sets. Tim Holtz stamp sets also fit into the cover set for storage by merely punching new holes in the backing. I've grown tired of having to rifle through my stamp sets looking for Christmas/winter themed sets so I decided to create a storage binder just for my Christmas stamps. 

For this project, I only altered the front cover. I found out that there is a front and back side of the Art Parts binders. I accidentally used the wrong side making the holes line up incorrectly, but I just reversed the way I put the stamp sets into it.  I love the way it came out and was very eager to get my stamp sets organized in it. 

I started with Barn Door distress paint, scribbling it onto my craft sheet and spritzing it lightly with water. Then I mashed the cover down onto the craft sheet several times. I dried the cover with my heat gun, then sprayed the leftover paint on my craft sheet with water and mashed the cover into it a couple more times. Using Jet Black archival, the Ornate Dots background stamp was stamped randomly on the cover.  Then Tarnished Brass distress stain was sprayed on. The first couple of sprays came out in a stream which made a big blotch. I cleaned the sprayer and it sprayed in a mist after that. I actually really like the way the metallic distress stain looks, even the blob.  Next, white Wendy Vecchi embossing paste was stenciled on through the Basically Bricks stencil. When that was dry, Vintage Photo was sponged over the high points of the stenciled bricks and walnut stain DI was sponged around the outer edges.
I didn't have the Art Parts Wendy uses to make a poinsettia so I cut chipboard with the Tim Holtz Tattered Poinsettia die (so sorry that one has been retired!) and colored the pieces with Mowed Lawn and Barn Door distress stains, then used several Wendy stamps in Jet Black archival ink.  I thought the 'Mark Art' license plate stamp and the 'Make it Merry' went together great.
Wendy's Check Mate stencil is one of my favorites.  I used it with Mowed Lawn distress ink on a sheet of white CS and then die cut the sheet with Tim's new Paper Snowflakes thinlits dies.  I think they look so cool with their green and white checks!  The strip across the top is the waste off a Trellis die cut.  It's two pieces of chipboard, painted with gesso and edged with Vintage Photo.  I thought it gave the cover a snowy look up top.

That's it for this week.  Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you will join in our fun challenge.  Be sure to stop over at Frilly and Funkie for a large doses of inspiration.








The supplies below were used on this project.  They are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Wendy Vecchi/Ranger and most other name brand products are always 20% below MSRP.









4 comments:

Redanne said...

I love everything about your altered cover, but I especially love those funky snowflakes! Hugs, Anne xx

wendy vecchi said...

love the idea of a storage system for just holiday stamps. that's cool & so convenient!
very fun cover...love all the detail & layers!

Buttons said...

This is such fabulous storage for your Wendy stamp sets! Love the bold, geometric snowflakes and the altered brickwork. Jenny x

Maryanne said...

What a great cover for your holiday stamps binder, Linda! I love the bright colors which are so very Wendy!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com