Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Miracles are Real

I'm here today with my weekly Frilly and Funkie DT project.  This fortnight, the lovely Jenny Marples has a challenge for us she has named Bloomin' Marvelous.  It's all about handmade flowers.  Put them on cards, tags, home decor projects, whatever you like.  Just make sure they are handmade.  

You probably know that my favorite flowers to use are handmade.  I rarely use a pre-made one.  My favorite dies to use for flower making are Tim Holtz's tattered flower dies - Tattered Florals, Mini Tattered Florals Movers and Shapers, the new Jumbo Tattered Florals XL and the decorative strip Tattered Flowers.  These flowers are made with a combination of all of those dies with the exception of the Mini Tattered Flowers M&S which I did't use this time.  I cut plain white card stock and colored them with a blend of Spun Sugar and Worn Lipstick distress stains (because one was too light and the other too pink).  I did the same with the leaves, mixing Pine Needles and Peeled Paint.  All edges of both the flower and leaves were sponged with Vintage Photo DI.  The small leaves were cut with the Tattered Flowers decorative strip die and the large leaf spray was cut with the awesome new Garden Greens Bigz die.  

I love making hand made flowers and make them frequently in many different ways.  These were made using a tutorial that Jennie Atkinson has on her blog.  You can find it here.  I really like the way she crinkles the layers around the stem of a paint brush.  It makes wonderful ceases which I think add a lot to the finished product.  
My background was created using two Tim Holtz stencils.  The right side used the new Doily stencil using white Wendy Vecchi embossing paste on black card stock.  The left side was stenciled with the Harlequin stencil and Jet Black archival ink onto white card stock.  

I just felt silver was the right accent color for this piece and wasn't sure how to bring silver to my sentiment but finally settled on using silver embossing powder.  I added a gorgeous silver tone filigree butterfly from The Funkie Junkie Boutique  
The final embellishment was the Industrious Border stickers - love the worn tarnished silver look of them!
Thank you so much for dropping by and for your lovely comments.  Most of the products I used can be purchased at my little boutique - The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  You can check them out using the thumb links below.  

Be sure to stop by Frilly and Funkie to see the lovely work the rest of the design team has to show you.



20 comments:

Jenny Marples said...

Oh Linda, those flowers are beautiful and I love the way you've added the crystals to the stems and butterflies. The thing that really grabs my eye is that fantastic stencilled background. Love the contrasted techniques. Jenny x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Linda your flowers are fabulous - and thank you so much for your lovely comments and the link! I love all the details you have included with them too - and the silver and black background is just stunning. Jennie x

Maryanne said...

Linda, this is so lovely. I love the black, white and silver combination with the soft pink flowers. Truly a beautiful piece!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love the color against the black and white! Your flowers and leaves are perfection! Great metal touches too!

Amy* said...

Drop dead gorgeous flowers Linda and I'm soooo smitten by the polka dotted leaves! Don't even get me started on that sentiment :)

Amy*

Almo said...

Such beautiful flowers Linda and I love the butterflies love the silver tones with them. Mo x

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card Linda, love the contrast of colours and your flowers are gorgeous ! Sue C x

Cec said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Your flowers are so pretty and soft. I love how you have contrasted them with the silver and black.
Hugs!
Cec

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! The flowers look great against the B&W background.

Dame Jeanne Marie said...

Wow! This is a stunning card Linda!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Your flowers are stunning! I love the silver embossed sentiment! Just beautiful!

Lori said...

Really gorgeous Linda! I absolutely love those flowers, and her tute is easy to follow, and what a great effect it gives!

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Beautiful, I love all the layers! I just bought the Spring dies and XL Tattered Floral. So it's exciting to see the greenery bits.

Inkypinkycraft said...

Lindathis is gorgeous and your flowers are so stunning! Love the contrast you have created , a beautiful make . Trace x hugs x

Nancy Dynes said...

Your card is so gorgeous and springtime fresh, Linda!! Your roses look so authentic that I want to reach out and touch them. I am amazed at the backgrounds you've created with the stencils--totally fabulous!
Hugs,
Nancy

Brenda Brown said...

Stunning contrasts and beautiful design Linda. Love it. Happy Valentines Day xx

Words and Pictures said...

What magnificent flowers... and what a bold, beautiful card, Linda!
Alison xx

Claudia N. said...

Brilliant flowers, Linda,

and a lot of die cut layered goodness on this stunning card of yours! Wow!

Claudia x

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
This is my first time on your Beautiful Blog. Your work is Gorgeous the way you have put this all together lovely. I am your newest follower on your blog now. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Valentine's Day. come join my Tablescapes if you can.
God Bless.
Diane

Lisa Minckler said...

The flowers are gorgeous but OHHH how I love the spotty dotty leaves. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com