Sunday, January 8, 2012

Simon Says It's a Red Letter Day

 
It's time again for another Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge.  This week we are talkin' Red Letter Day.  We, at the design team, have been buzzing all week about how to interpret that theme.  My team mate Tracy Evans did some research and will be sharing on her blog the original meaning of a red letter day.  The team came up with some fun interpretations so be sure to check them out.   Being in a Valentine's Day frame of mind, when I thought of red letter, I thought of Valentine's Day and I literally made a red letter - LOL.  

For my Valentine's Day wall hanging, I first created my red letter using Crafty Secret's Rosy Wishes embossed with Ranger Superfine Gold Embossing Powder.   I read in a craft magazine awhile back about glassine and gesso so I took a glassine bag, crumpled it up and smoothed it back out.  Using a wash of 50% water and 50% gesso, I painted the front and let it dry.  When dry, I stippled it with full strength gesso.  I digitally removed the background with my PhotoShop Elements from this pretty Valentine's girl and printed her on tissue paper, fussy cut her and then glued her to the glassine bag using Claudine Hellmuth's Multi Medium Matte.  Then I gold embossed the flourish from Tim Holtz's Urban Grunge set. 


I cut chipboard with the Elegant Flourishes die and painted them with Gold Metallic acrylic paint and then gave them two coats of UTEE. I used the Gold Metallic paint dabber around the edges of the white corrugated cardboard. The handmade flowers were cut with the Tattered Florals die and the Sizzix Flowers and Vines #3 die, wet, crumpled, dried and spritzed with Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist. 

My bronze filigree corner was heat embossed with white embossing powder and then sanded to give it a worn look. I also rubbed some of the gold acrylic paint over it and then rubbed it off again for a little more aged look.

And finally, I had a little fun with some of my jewelry making supplies and some gold glass glitter.  And that about wraps it up for another Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge.  I hope you will play along.  Our ever generous sponsor, Simon Says Stamp and Show has a $50 shopping voucher for the lucky random winner of this week's challenge.  So be sure to stop by Simon Says Stamp and Show and maybe even play along!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and for any comment you care to leave!  Hope you have a great week.

10 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This is fabulous Linda! I love everything about it...the hanging, the red envelope, the flourishes, the gold embossing, the white corrugated paper, but most importantly the white glassine. I am trying to process that. It looks transparent...I must know more. What article or can you do a tutorial? This is really, really, amazing Linda!!!

Candy C said...

Linda...your piece is just beautiful! I love everything about it...down to the little white feather! That white glassine envelope is awesome. I can see tons of possibilities for that! Love your design and the glittery heart with the baubles hanging from it. It's all so pretty! <3 Candy

Anne Marie Hile said...

Oh my word is this gorgeous!!! I love that heart...along with every other amazing detail you added. Linda, your work is amazing!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Valentine hanging Linda, love love the Glassine and your heart is stunning. beautifully executed and great design. Tracy x

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

WOW..you have sure made a treasure here. Love all the detail and great little extra's you have created on this beautiful piece.
You are so inspiring and I enjoy how you share all the fun.

coldwaters2 said...

AWESOME hanger Linda the colours and design look wonderful the embellishments and attention to detail is amazing I love this so much.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Terry said...

Hey there Linda, love your Valentine project for the Red Letter Day, everything is awesome on your piece of art wowhoooooo absolutely georgous and AMAZING at the same time Linda. Great Job. Hugs Terry xxxx

Susan said...

Love your Valentine hanging piece. The Victorian theme is wonderful and the glittery heart adds a great touch. Thanks, Susan

Susan said...

Love your Valentine hanging piece. The Victorian theme is wonderful and the glittery heart adds a great touch. Thanks, Susan

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Beautiful project, Linda! I really love the shades of reds and the embellishments complement each other so well!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com