Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Witch's Potion

Welcome to the monthly Artistic Outpost blog hop.  This month, our design team was given a theme of Halloween to create with and this is my sample for the hop.  Here is our hop line-up so you can visit all the design team members' blogs and gather inspiration from their fantastic work.


And now for the details about my tag.  I started with a jumbo manila tag and dredged it through a puddle of Black Soot distress stain with some Pewter Perfect Pearls mixed in.  I did this repeatedly until the entire tag was colored, then dried it with my heat tool.  Then I spread a liberal layer of Claudine Hellmuth's Multi Medium Matte over the entire tag and applied regular white tissue paper, scrunching it up for texture as I patted it down.  You have to be careful not to rip the tissue paper when you are mushing it round.  Once I had it nice and wrinkly, I ripped off the excess around the edges and dried it with the heat tool.  But then it wasn't black enough so I repeated Step 1.

I decided it needed some sort of design and used a Dyan Reaveley stencil and white Wendy Vecchi embossing paste, which I tinted purple with a couple of drops of Dusty Concord reindeer.
I secured the stencil to the tag by applying low tack painter's tape to the back of the tag and stencil.  I didn't want the stencil to move.  However, as it ended up, I didn't have the stencil tight enough to the tag and some of the embossing paste oozed out around the design.  My assumption is that the surface of the tag was too textured for the stencil to lay tight enough thus allowing some of the embossing paste to spread outward a bit - a practice makes perfect sort of error.  Just know that you have to hold the stencil tight enough so it is totally flat and be conservative in the amount of paste you apply.  The embossing paste takes the color beautifully with one or two drops of Distress Ink reinker.  I decided not to re-do my tag for a more crisp look because normally I cover up my designs anyway.  
The apothecary bottle was stamped on white CS with Jet Black archival, sponged with Vintage Photo and painted with Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint.  The tags were all cut with the Tiny Tabs and Tags die, cut with white CS and again with chipboard and then stamped with images from Artistic Outpost's Apothecary and Haunted Halloween plates.  The spider was cut from chipboard and painted with Black Soot crackle paint and the "31" clips were painted with black Vintaj paint from the Retro Highway.  I think that covers it, but if I have left out anything or you have a question, please leave a comment below.  

Thanks so much for visiting and enjoy the hop!




22 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

Another great make, love the image and cool purple paste! trace vx hugs x

Redanne said...

Linda, this is fabulous! I love Halloween and the background you created is just amazing. Love the potion bottle too. A wonderful tag. Hugs, Anne x

Jenny Marples said...

A positively spooky tag Linda. Love that embossing paste colour and the wonderful bottles. Hugs, Jenny x

Terry said...

Hey there Linda, fabulous Tag, love the Halloween background just fab. Hugs Terry xxxx

silvergran said...

Cool tag!

Maryanne said...

I love this tag, Linda! I love Halloween and your tag is fantastic! I like that the embossing paste seeped under because it adds to the spookiness for me!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I just used these same stencils and paste...lol! Love the purple tint...looks fab with the black! I love the images...so fun and festive!!!

Suzanne C said...

Fantastic background effect! Love the thick stucco. Spooktacular tag!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Great dimension using the tinted paste. Great tag and colors.

Terry said...

I never would have thought to use that stencil for a Halloween background! I love purple colors for spooky backgrounds and the bottle is a great treat! Love this tag!

Unknown said...

Love your tag!! Hugs Frea

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous use of the stencils for the background Linda and I love your tinted embossing paste adding wonderful texture too. The purple really is perfect for Halloween. Love the 31 down the side too. Great piece. Tracy x

Lisa Somerville said...

Fantastic Halloween tag - love the stenciled background!

Words and Pictures said...

Just love your spooky purple texture paste - brilliant, and looks great on the tag. And the embossed panel is very cool too... Fantastic Halloween make, Linda!
Alison x

Anonymous said...

Fabulous tag Linda, I think the effect of the embossing paste leaking adds to the effect. Love the little potion bottle too ! Sue C x

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow, amazing tag Linda, that purple paste is something else but the bit I love best is the bottle! Great make!!

Kate Yetter said...

Such a fun tag and very out of your norm if I may say so. You did an awesome job! Loving that background, colors and potion bottle. I so need this stamp set now.
Kate

Unknown said...

This is a great, spooky tag, Linda! I love how the stencil images are chunky and smushed together--it adds that much more depth and texture! Love it! I love everything about this! Thank you for sharing!

marda said...

Nicely creepy tag. Love that purple paste.

Dianne said...

I absolutely love the black and purple background, your embellishments are fabulous thanks for sharing...

Debbie K. said...

Your tag is wonderful, Linda. Love the purple and black stencil background.

Anonymous said...

What a great background on your tag. I love the color and the way it looks so textured.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com