Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Harvest Blessings - What a Mesh Challenge at Frilly and Funkie

Double click any image to zoom in for details.

Hello and welcome back.  I'll bet that after a six month absence from posting, you are getting sick of me now that I'm posting a couple of times a week - LOL.  I know I feel like I'm really having a lot of blog activity!  Anyway, I'm filling in again over at Frilly and Funkie, this time on the Frilly side of the team.  Pamellia Johnson is our hostess for this fortnight and her challenge is called What a Mesh. Pamela wants us to use any type of mesh (crinoline, cheesecloth, tulle, burlap, canvas etc) in our vintage or shabby chic project.

Here is my shabby chic project using crinoline for my flowers.  I started this project with a half sheet of Specialty Stamping Paper and applied Frayed Burlap Distress Stain direct to paper with the dabber top.  When dry, clear embossing powder was applied with Versamark through an old Prima stencil and heated on.  I also stamped the city stamp from the old Papillon stamp set in Versamark and clear embossed.  Next I painted on a wash of watered down gesso and dried it with my heat tool.  It seemed a little too brown for my concept for this project so I dabbed on some Faded Corduroy distress stain.  All the working and reworking created an awesome textured background.  I love the way it came out.

Sorry, this was a quick snapshot taken with my phone while creating.  Double click to zoom for details.  
I already had this piece of corrugated cardboard on my work table with the edges inked and a bit of gold embossing powder around the edges too.  It made a great bottom panel for my image piece.  I stamped the gingham with a Wendy Vecchi stamp and her Orange Blossom archival ink.  Then I added some script stamping with another Wendy Vecchi stamp using her Potting Soil archival ink.  I found the cute vintage seed package graphic on the Internet that fit the theme and color palette perfectly.

I have a stash of die cut and dyed crinoline flower layers so I dug through and found some lovely fall colors and assembled the layers.  I believe the main one was dyed with Dried Marigold and the yellow was dyed with a  Stamping' Up reinker.  The large flower pieces were cut with the Tattered Florals die and the small yellow dandelion looking flowers were cut with an ancient Cuttlebug die (probably one of the very first I ever bought - LOL!).  And, BTW, we do have some crinoline for sale at The Funkie Junkie Boutique in case you can't find it at your local fabric store.

I also have a stash of pre-cut and colored leaves left over from prior years' projects.  These were cut with both the Tattered Leaves Bigz die as well as the Fall Foliage Things die that came out last year.  The seam binding was also floating around on my table, having been dyed several weeks ago when I did a batch dyed with Tarnished Brass Distress Spray, but not full strength.  It was watered down so this is a more mellow yellow gold color.


Next I searched for a sentiment to tie everything together and ended up using an old Tim Holtz Texture Fade.  I don't even remember what it is called but it is the one with all the fall/Thanksgiving words on it.  I embossed the two works on kraft CS and sponged it with Rusty Hinge DI, then dried it well with my heat tool.  Rubbing glue stick over the embossed letters, I then applied Prima gold foil.


Those are the details for my Harvest Blessings project.  The finished size is 5x7".  It was backed up on chipboard and then I cut an easel and affixed it to the back so it would be free standing.  


I hope you will play along with us over at Frilly and Funkie this week.  For each challenge we have a judged contest with the top pick plus 3 runners up who get a blog badge for their win plus we randomly draw for a $25 gift certificate to shop at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  Plus our top pick is invited to b a guest designer for an upcoming project.



The project above used the products shown here.  They are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Ranger/Tim Holtz/Wendy Vecchi and most other name brand products are always 20% below list.

14 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

First of all Linda, I for one am delighted to see you back blogging (I expect it must be fun for you too). I really missed your more regular inspiration!! This piece is totally fabulous, and I love how you were able to pull out some of your older stash for it! So many fantastic ideas, like using that old embossing folders for your words!! The background is also completely fabulous!! A wonderful harvest inspired piece!!

Pamellia said...

What a beautiful autumn project Linda! The specialty stamping paper you used really turned out wonderful, what a lovely pattern! Your mesh flowers are just amazing, so vibrant and natural looking! It's a real treat to have you on the Frilly team for this challenge, I just love your piece! :)

Kim said...

Beautiful Linda...you piece captures the very essence of Fall. Love the flowers and the use of the embossing folder to create your words.

Marty F said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! OMG, this is just absolutely gorgeous, fabulous, beautiful!!! I love everything about it - that background, those flowers, the use of the embossing folder. Wow!

Unknown said...

BIG TIME EYE CANDY for me - GORGEOUSLY YUMMY - Wow. Wow. Wow. Your FABULOUS project has EVERYTHING I love... autumn colors, darling vintage picture, corrugated cardboard, incredible bow and crinoline flowers(love), perfect papers, amazing leaves, and best of all two of my all time fav words... harvest blessings. I'm totally AWED. No offense to anyone else because everyone does so wonderfully but... this is my TOP PICK for the entire fall season so far. SCRUMPTIOUSLY DELICIOUS. And... sending HARVEST BLESSINGS back to you dear Linda. Xj.

Maryanne said...

Welcome back, Linda! I, too, have been away from my blog and all of the blogs for a long time. I'm hoping to get back soon. I just love your Harvest Blessings project! I love the background and the way you used the embossing folder and the foil for the words. Beautiful project!

sarascloset said...

Linda, I am so excited to see that Bloglovin' has decided to send one of your posts to me today! I am in love with this BEAUTIFUL mesh! Your background is deliciously textured and designed and every single detail speaks to me! this is just the inspiration I need to get started on my Thanksgiving crafting! Hugs!

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous, love the pretty image and your background and embellishing is just wonderful!!

suzyb said...

Wonderful eye candy! Everything about this project is just perfect. Being thankful for all kinds of things this time of year. We here in Canada have already had our Thanksgiving and wishing everyone a wonderful one everywhere else. Every day we wake up, is a blessing. Thank you for sharing this lovely project and glad you are back at it. :)
Victoria, BC

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I'm a huge fan of your crinoline flowers, and these are especially scrumptious. The colors are so vibrant and reminiscent of autumn. That background is almost too pretty to cover up, Linda! Such a fabulous make! It's fun to have you play along with us!

Suzanne C said...

This challenge was perfect for you. I love how you incorporate mesh in your projects from the charming bits of burlap, your gorgeous flowers you are always creating or the perfect touches of ribbon with texture. Beautiful! Love the rich autumn colors with the layers of cardboard, paper and textured background! (Very happy to see you creating and sharing!)

Jenny Marples said...

You've captured Autumn in one hit here Linda. I adore your crinoline flowers and that delicious molten background is almost too good to be covered! Wonderful to have you joining in the fun xx

Nancy Dynes said...

Now I have absolutely no words, Linda!! i just came from your card for the funkie side of the team then saw this autumnal beauty!! I am completely amazed by the textured background on this one.Your card seems to effortlessly embody the spirit of the harvest season. Though the details are anything but effortless, you somehow make it look easy. The crinoline flowers and hand stained seam binding have captured my heart, along with the sweet seed card image and sentiment joined with a tiny paper clip at the top. I am completely in love with your project!

Hugs,

Nancy

Zoe Hillman said...

Your card is lovely Linda. The orange hues and the traditional look of that lettering is perfect. Love all the textures and layers, especially the corrugated card.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com