Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Suffragette City



Welcome back, friends!  I'm participating in my very first blog hop as a guest designer for Artistic Outpost.  I chose to work with the Loverly London set from Artistic Outpost.  I really love their vintage photograph style of stamps. There were just so many ways I could have gone with this set, but I don't think I have seen many pieces made with the suffragette so I chose to go that route.  My card became a tribute to the women to made so many sacrifices for women's rights.  It's sort of ironic because I had a discussion with someone just last week about the importance of women's right to vote and was reflecting that that had happened in 1920 - only 32 years before I was born.  It hardly seems possible that it was that short of a time ago - less than 100 years and look how far we have come!  But we should never forget and never let our daughters forget about how women were second class citizens who had very few rights at all and how hard and how violently women had to fight to start that process of change.

Okay, so enough about the history lesson.  I used the national colors of Britain for my card, combining them with a good dose of kraft. The bottom layer is Night of Navy embossed with the Tim Holtz Patchwork folder and then swiped with Picket Fence Distress Stain to give it a chalky white effect. I created a post card with a stamp from Ephemeral Backgrounds and used it to carry the British suffragette slogan "Votes for Women" made with Tim Holtz's Chip Block alphabet, cut from black CS and coated with Crackle Accents.  I made a little ballot holder with a kraft sleeve and ran it though my printer to print the word Ballot on it, then stamped LONDON across it with a stamp from the set.  I made little ballot on my computer to slip into the BALLOT sleeve.  The suffragette was stamped with Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink on white CS and sponged with Vintage Photo distress ink.  I cut the edges with deckle cut scissors.  The double rosette was cut with the Mini Rosette die and at the last minute I cut a strip of red with the Vintage Lace die and adhered it along the top edge of the post card.  I thought the card was a bit stark and masculine looking and I wanted to make a statement that women are equal to men, but we don't have to sacrifice our feminine side to that equality.

This is a blog hop so we hope you will hop on through the list and check out what the other designers have done for this hop.  You can visit them in any order and please leave them a little love!


Thanks so much for joining our blog hop today.  I really appreciate your visit and any comment you care to leave!





22 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

This card really makes you think, well done Linda, love how you have used the colours of the flag for your artwork and the rosette is perfect. Lovely thoughtful piece. Tracy x x

Suzanne C said...

Brilliant idea! Beautiful composition and details!

Marjie Kemper said...

I've not seen these stamps, Linda... great way to showcase them and the important issue, too. It really is hard to believe how 'new' those rights really are.

Robyn Phelan Sharp said...

love love love what you did and the little details and story you created.

MarcyK924 said...

Oh, I love this card, Linda! All the little details, like your ballot and rosette are perfect for your montage! EXCELLENT post! XO

Kirsten Alicia said...

A beautiful card for a very important piece of history.

Terry said...

Great vintage feel you have created in this beauty! Fabulous tribute to women and our rights!

Hetty said...

Beautiful layers, Linda and i love how you did the rosette.

Gillian .... said...

Oh this is "simply spiffing" Linda said in my most poshest U.K accent, love the Red/White/Blue theme throughout this project ... darn wish I had spied those Burlap Twine before :) x

Anonymous said...

Fab card Linda, great design as usual! Stamps are gorgeous ! Sue C x

Payne Holler Cards said...

love Artistic Outpost and thrilled to see you are their GD!
this card is another example of your truly gorgeous vintage style (-:

NWFlamingo said...

Another vote for great work!

Lisa Somerville said...

Fab idea for showcasing the London plates! Wonderful design and added embellies!

Scrumplescrunch said...

WELL this is a very interesting card and subject Linda, of course you have made one hell of a good job of it as you always do. Did you also know that New Zealand became the very first self-governing nation to extend the right to vote to all adult women,in 1983.
Congrats on your first sample at Artistic Outpost you will do them proud.
Smiles:)

Deb Neerman said...

WoW, fabulous, fabulous card and a great message! This is one of my favorite AO sets and you totally rocked it, Linda!!

Netty said...

wow fabulous card Linda, perfect. x

Jessica said...

I love AO's stamps. I don't have many, but I will have more...eventually! Love the card! TFS

LynnF said...

Bravo! This is really awesome! What a great composition!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love, love, love this theme!!! So liberating...lol!!! I am loving that rosette...so cool!

Lyneen said...

Wonderful card... it truly captures that time in history... SUPER!

May said...

Fabulous card Linda, From a piece of history us ladies must never forget! the detail of your card is Perfect!! Hugs May x x x

BarbaraW said...

Really great theme to your card. Love how you brought it all together.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com