Monday, December 19, 2011

Show Us Your Tags

This week at Simon Says Stamp and Show the challenge is to make a Tim Holtz inspired tag.  I have to say that I have had such a wonderful time this year being inspired by Tim and playing along with his tag challenge.  This was the first year I have participated and I really didn't know what I was missing!  I was really rocking for the first 8 days.  I kept up pretty well but then life intervened and I had to put them on hold.  But I do intend to finish before the close of his challenge at the end of the month.  And I finished one more here with my Simon Says DT piece.  

The main technique demonstrated for Tim's #10 tag was a tape transfer technique.  I gave it a good try, but it didn't work for me.  I printed a vintage Santa image on my home printer since I don't have Tim's Seasonal Paper Stash.  I applied clear tape, burnished it and then put it under warm water and rubbed the paper gently - it all came off - right down to the tape.  No image whatsoever remained on the tape.  Okay, I thought, I shouldn't have used no name generic packing tape so I searched around the house and came up with a roll of clear 3M packing tape.  Ah, the good stuff, surely I would be successful on the second try...or NOT.  And yeah, it was the "or NOT" situation the next time also.  I concluded that for this technique, you need to use Tim's papers or at least a professionally printed paper.  Not to be discouraged, especially since I had  DT deadline for a tag coming up, I printed the Santa image for a third time and affixed it to my fragment charm the normal way.  

For my background, I stamped a Wendy Vecchi script stamp with Ranger Archival Jet Black ink and then sponged it with Festive Berries and Pine Bough distress inks from the new limited edition seasonal distress ink set.  Then I misted some homemade glimmer mist onto my craft sheet and smooshed the tag face down into it a few times, then dried it with my heat tool.  I cut a panel using the Styled Labels die to mount my fragment charm on.  A couple of accent pieces were made using Core'dinations Kraft Core paper and the Hardware Findings die. I also used the Core'dinations Kraft Core paper to cut a bit of greenery with the Festive Greenery die.  The sentiment panel was cut with a Spellbinders die and gold heat embossed twice.  After the second embossing while it was still hot, I stamped the Believe stamp from Holiday Minis into the gold embossing.  You need to ink your stamp with Versamark or other embossing ink first though, so it doesn't stick to the hot embossing.  I finished the piece of by rubbing a bit of gesso over the tag background and the corrugated cardboard.  



So there you have the details and the product links can be found below.  Be sure to stop by and see what the other DT members of Simon Says Samp and Show have made this week for your inspiration.  And don't forget, our ever-generous sponsor, Simon Says Stamp, has a $50 shopping spree to give to a lucky random winner.  Hope that winner is YOU!

Thanks so much for dropping by today.  I hope you have a wonderful week.  








15 comments:

Scrumplescrunch said...

A Most Beautiful Tag Linda, and with all the false starts with the Santa image, and the mucking around with tapes, that did not work. A simple method of printing the image and affixing the easy way looks amazing I love all the embellishments too.
Have a wonderful Christmas.
Smiles:)

Ink Art Designs said...

lol...I haven't been taking part in the 12 tags, but I did have a go at this technique...soapy water in the kitchen sink! I did it very, very gently and it was mostly successful. "Bits" came off completely, but with the right background it looked great in my eyes! I love your tag Linda
Dot x

Ellie Knol said...

It's so gorgeous!!!! Glad I discovered your blog a while ago! I think you're the the one theat inspires me the most at the moment!!!

Netty said...

Popped in to wish you a Merry Christmas Linda and saw your extremely beautiful tag, x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Beautiful tag Linda, I love your fragment and your background works so well with the Santa and as always embellished beautifully. I am glad to hear that it's not only me that has problems with some techniques, I now feel normal again, thank you LOL. Have a fabulous Christmas Linda and Best Wishes for the New Year, love Tracy.

DeeDee Catron said...

oh.. 12 tags.. I couldn't even finish YOURS and you had them up MONTHS in advance, lol. Gorgeous tag!!! I think if nothing else I'd love your work based on your corrugated cardboard use. I can't get enough of it in my own pieces!!

DeeDee Catron said...

P.S. -- thank you so much for your sweet comment on my Spellbinders DT submission ♥♥

newfiecrafter(Marilyn) said...

This is a beautiful tag Linda . I like the red and green combo and with all the problems with the tech your Santa turned out great on the fragment.Like the sentiment stamped in the gold embossed tag . Merry Christmas.
Marilyn

Candy C said...

Wow Linda! Your tag is so pretty! I love the Santa in the fragment charm piece and your BELIEVE is really cool! It's a really beautiful Christmas-y vintage piece! <3 Candy

marsha said...

What gorgeous eye candy! Linda, you truly create the most gorgeous tags and vintage art, love the Santa and all the "Linda" embellishments!
Hugs,
Marsha

Bunnyfreak said...

Love the santa image this way. Stunning tag.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Hi Linda! This is such a gorgeous tag and phenomenal use of the new winter distress ink colors! I love the classic Santa image you used also!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

SherRee said...

That's really pretty. I am glad you were pinned on Pinterest. It lead me to your blog.

Jen said...

Beautiful tag! I haven't tried that technique from Tim, but I'm glad you didn't give up. Your hard work paid off!
Jen :)

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful tag! Love how your santa turned out! I struggle with that technique everytime and didn't even try for it on my tag. :) Beautiful design.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com