Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Blessed Are The...

From The Funkie Junkie
I am so honored to be asked to be a part of the guest design team for the Autum Release for Layers of Color. We're all waiting with great anticipation to see the nine new stamp sets being released November 14th and 15th. Although they are a clear art stamp company, there will be free digis (party favors) for all during the week of November 7th so be sure to go to their website and grab yours! And you'll want to return on November 14th and 15th for the release blog hop and more party favors for all!

Here's my first card using stamps from the Old World Flourish and the Gothic Crosses sets. Of course these vintagy art stamps had an immediate appeal to me because you know I love all things vintage - sigh...and look at what I created with them. I'm a Roman Catholic and I have already been reading the Gospel reading for this Sunday. I had been brainstorming on what I could make that would really pack a punch. When I read this week's Gospel, it just struck me as perfect. It's Matthew 5:1-12 from the Sermon on the Mount containing the Beatitudes which sometimes are so hard for us to understand...Blessed are the poor in spirit - what does that mean? The Beatitudes aren't a list of commandments that we have to live by if we want to follow Jesus. Instead they show us how we can live when the source of our life is Jesus. Because of Him we are "Blessed", our lives reflect a profound change in us, the result of His grace, which enables us to be poor in spirit, gentle, merciful, peacemakers, etc.

I knew I wanted to use chipboard letters to spell out Blessed but I didn't have a stamp for the Beatitude that I had chosen so I printed it out using my computer but also stamped it with one of the LOC stamps, stamped off one time first. The chipboard letters were cut using the Cuttlebug Olivia alphabet set and then heat embossed using Tim Holtz Vintage Photo distress embossing powder, which was also used stencil-like with the Spellbinders Fleur De Lis Borderabilities. Other Spellbinder dies used were the Oval, Tag and Labels 1. The DSP is SU retired Brocade Backgrounds. Tim Holtz Antique Antique Linen distress ink was sponged on the Very Vanilla and Close to Cocoa ink was sponged on the edges of the DSP. The edges were distressed with scissors. And of course the inside panels are also finished off to compliment the front panel.





Thanks for stopping by to see my latest work. Be sure to check out the rest of the LOC Design Team and Guest Designers to see what they have created using LOC stamps.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I am entering this card in the following challenges:

PaperPlay Challanges - Favorite Embellishments - I think it is a toss up for me - stitching or die cuts!

Daring Cardmakers - These are a few of my favorite things - I think this is just the coolest challenge! You had to include at least five of your favorite tings on your card. If you can get to 10, then you get a virtual gold star. I started looking at this card and it is a gallery of favs for me. Here's my list: layers, stitching, die cuts, tag, popped up, chipboard letters, distressing, embossing, ribbon, pearls, flourishes

Mojo Monday - sketch challenge. I have to admit, I pushed the limits of the sketch a bit, bit I really did use it. I really struggled with the layout of this card until I saw that sketch an then it all fell into place!


Update: This card was featured on Card of the Week.

13 comments:

Jane Wetzel said...

Gees...Linda....Not only is this card outstanding but your little "tutorial" on the Beattitudes was FABULOUS...How lovely..Being R.Catholic myself I am overjoyed at this post..LOVE visiting your blog! :)

Julie M said...

Very pretty card, Linda. Love all the layering and detail.

Thanks for joining us on PaperPlay this week.

Julie

Hearts Turned said...

BEAUTIFUL card, Linda! I really love the "Layers of Color" stamps--haven't gotten any yet, though--but I will! Eagerly awaiting what they're coming out with. Thanks for sharing such a lovely, inspirational card!

Lynda said...

This is a very beautiful card - love your favourite things. Thanks for joining in with DCM this week.

Lynda xxx

Beautiful Greetings said...

Linda, this is a stunning card. You did such an amazing job with all the details from the embossing powder to the light flourish under your verse. Great job!

Kathy said...

Beautiful card - so glad you shared it with The Daring Cardmakers and got your virtual Gold Star! *

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is really beautiful Linda. I've not tried cutting out chipboard with my Olivia alphabet, think I may have to give that a go ! Sue x

Anonymous said...

Wow Linda you outdid yourself with this beauty...the layers and textures are just gorgeous...and the inside is just as beautiful...wow wow wow!

Abby:)

Anonymous said...

P.S. Linda I've left you something on my blog !

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Linda - this is just 'divine!' I love everything about it...being a fan of vintage myself, and layering, distressing and everything vintage! You have used the Layers of Colors stamps beautifully. I am so thrilled that you are one of our Guest Designers for the New Release Party - we are so blessed to have you! God bless you my friend
Linda LOC Design Team

Teri said...

Such a lovely card! Great sentiment.
Thanks for sharing at Winter Wonderland this week.
Hugs,
Teri x

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

oooweee! What a stunner, Linda! Every scrumptious detail is marvelous! I see why it was a winner!

Thank you for giving 100% to the Layers of Color Guest Design team! We are blessed to to have you and your talents among us!

This is one of my favorite verses. I put it on a giant wooden spoon hanging over my kitchen sink!

Gorgeous card. You represent LOC in a spectacular way, Linda!

hugs!

Dianne said...

Another beautiful card Linda. So many details. The colors are really pretty with this set. Fabulous verse.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com