Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Postcard Santa

I borrowed this vintage set (Up on the Housetop) from a friend and just love it. I have been trying to build up my collection of vintage style stamps so I looked for it on eBay. It's very rare and I saw one listed last week for $76 Buy it Now!! I am happy I have a friend to doesn't mind lending out her stamps because I am definitely going to borrow it again next Christmas.

I first made the "postcard" using the stamp from the retired Vintage Postcard set and then stamped Santa and his reindeer with Bravo Burgundy on a piece of Very Vanilla. The cancellation mark is from Office Ephemera. I cut the edges of the postcard with a deckle cut scissors and sponged the edge with Creamy Caramel. Humm, now that I have made this beautiful little ephemra gem, what to do with it? I pulled out a piece of Cosmo Cricket Oh Joy collection which Ithought would be perfect. I love this season's Cosmo Cricket Oh Joy collection. I bought a bunch of it on line and alas, I haven't had time to make many Christmas cards so most of it is still sitting in my stash unused.

I built this card on a shell of Very Vanilla and sponged the edges (of this layer and all others) with Creamy Carmel. The next layer up is Wild Wassabi topped with another layer of Very Vanilla and then the Cosmo Cricket paper. I used the basic scalloped square die that comes with the Cuttlebug to cut three postage stamp type squares, stamped a snowflake from The Snowflake Spot on all three and again sponged the edges with Creamy Caramel. I cut SANTA from the Oliva CB alphabet. When cutting "chipboard" with my CB dies, I usually use a thin cardboard - the kind that comes in DSP packs - cutting two pieces of each and gluing them together. That way I can make nice chunky chipboard with my CB dies (which don't cut the thick chipboard very well).

The ornaments in the upper left were stamped and embossed using another retired SU set Joy. I dyed a flower from the Pretties kit with Bravo Burgundy ink. Then I took a piece of Christmas ribbon, smeared both the flower and the bow with Versamark and sprinkled them with Judi-Kins Egyptian Gold EP and ran the heat gun lightly over them (didn't want to melt the flower or ribbon!). I layered and glued them together and topped them off with a clear rhinestone. I tied the ornaments with a bit of gold cord.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

I changed my font at