Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Challenge: 12 Tags of Christmas - Funkie Junkie Style - Week #11

Hello and thank you for stopping by my 12 Tags of Christmas challenge post.  This week brings us to Week #11 - almost finished with this challenge.  The tag I am sharing with for this week's inspiration was originally published on my blog on August 31st for a Simon Says Stamp blog hop.  I made a triptych of Christmas tags and then decided to go for 12.  I was going to save this for #12, but I have been super busy both with my job and with my Etsy shop.  So I decided to bring this one back a bit early.  Also, in light of the Thanksgiving holiday and the fact that I'll be working crazy hours for the next week, I have decided that we'll take a little tag holiday next week and return for Tag #12 on November 30th.  And don't forget, you have until midnight ET on December 15th to complete/enter all 12 tags so there is still time if you want to jump into the challenge.  


On to the details of this tag.  The tag base was covered with a sheet from an old book and then tape was applied and ripped off to remove part of the print .  Then it was masked and misted with the Vintage Photo/Perfect Pearls (that I often refer to as my homemade glimmer mist).  

I used Metal Foil Tape Sheets to cover the GrungeBoard letters.  Check out Day 10 here for the metal technique.  Then I dripped Caramel alcohol ink on the metal and let it run all over it.  I had the brilliant idea of painting the raised letters with the gold mixative, but some of the gold ran off and onto the base.  So I added more Caramel and pretty soon the gold mixative was running all over the base.  I gave up on trying to correct it and decided that I LOVED the way it looked - a happy accident that I couldn't repeat in a million years - LOL.  Then I repeated the same mixing of the caramel alcohol ink and gold mixative on the strip of acrylic that I cut with the On the Edge Snow Flurries die. 


 I added a faux etched fragment done with the pine cone stamp from the Tim Holtz Mini Holidays 3 set, some corrugated cardboard stars that I also brushed with the gold mixative.

That's all I have to offer for this week's tag.  Hope you can find some inspiration in it somewhere!  Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you will play along with us this week.


11 comments:

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Linda
Gosh some of the techniques are a little complicated on this one!
It is a stunner of a Tag, I shall no doubt have a great time creating mine.
Don't work too hard, you must enjoy Thanksgiving.
Smiles:)

Inkypinkycraft said...

This is simply stunning!!I love it trace x

Dorte said...

Linda, your tag is stunning.
hugs Dorte

Ink Art Designs said...

I love this tag Linda!!! So much technique and so unique.
Dot x

Unknown said...

wow Linda this one is just dripping gold a great inspiration as always.
Chris x

Karenliz Henderson said...

Stunning tag! It's so pretty.

Lisa Minckler said...

I read the word "ripped" in your description and immediately cringed, but then realized...OH, that's okay, she meant to do that! LOL..
Love your chunky numbers that happened all on their own...they look amazingly steampunk and grunge and perfectly vintage all in one.
I'm so impressed with the snowflake border. I have nothing of these accessories you speak of, but shall try to duplicate that best I can.
Enjoy your holiday break, breathe for a minute if you can and I'll see you on the 30th!
No doubt you've left me with inspiration. ;)
Hugs,
Lisa xx

Kate Yetter said...

Linda, this one is so great! Love that etched technique and those snowflakes on the border are fab! Wishing I had that die...Hope life slows down for you soon. Its that busy time of year. Enjoy the holidays with your family!!!
Kate

shari said...

Linda, Your tag is beautiful!!! I also have a question for you. When you make your flowers, do you unfurl them after they dry or while they are wet? They are so delicate when I did it wet I thought maybe once they were dry it would be better. Thanks, Shari (cricutrookie)
cricutrookie at aol dot com

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

To answer Shari's question, I cut and and then dye my flowers. I let them dry or dry them with my heat tool. Once dry I scrunch them up in a ball and then carefully unfurl them. Hope that helps - maybe try following my tutorials step-by-step. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jen said...

Linda I just love this tag!! That copper 25 is amazing. Thanks for all your inspiration and I loved playing along :)

Jen :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com