Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tutorial - More Crinoline Flowers

Yesterday I published an Easter refrigerator magnet (see post below) with some pretty yellow spring-like flowers made from crinoline.  They were easy and fun to make and I think they added a lot to my spring piece.  Here's a quick tutorial on how I created those flowers.  

Materials Needed:
A cutting die for a five or six petal flower (pretty much any brand of die will work)
About a 3x3 inch doubled (two layers) square of crinoline
Non stick kraft mat
Reinker color of choice
Heat tool

For my little forsythia patch, I cut about 20 crinoline flowers.

On my craft mat, I sprayed water with a Mini Mister and then dropped 
4 drops of Barely Banana (SU) reinker.  

Mix up the water and reinkers.  
(I keep a rubber glove at my workstation.  It cuts down on inky fingers.)  

Totally saturate the flowers in your reinker puddle.  
Mush them around, turn them over until they are fully saturated with color.  
Mix up another puddle of water and reinker, in necessary.

Next, fold them in half and then in half again.
Pinch the base to keep them in that formation.

Dry with your heat tool.  Hold them down with some sort of tool so they don't take off. 
A couple of mine got away and shot off across the room - LOL!  
Don't get your heat tool too close or you will burn them.  
As they dried, I sopped up the extra drops of reinker/water mixture 
which added sort of a variegated color to my flowers 
- light in some areas, darker in others.  

Here they are.  All dried out and totally stiff again. 

I used cheese cloth to have something to anchor them too.  
Dipping the base into my pot of Claudine Hellumth Multi-Medium Matte (have I told you how FANTASTIC that stuff is?), I grouped them into bunches of twos and threes and stood them straight up.  They dried like that, quickly and securely.  

I cut tiny leaves out of crinoline with a Spellbinders die, dyed them in the same manner 
and glued them in between the flowers.  

And the best thing is I made them myself (love handmade!) for about 50 cents!  And by custom dying your embellishments, you have everything perfectly color coordinated.  Did you notice that I dyed the shabby seam binding so it matched the flowers perfectly?

If you can't find crinoline at your sewing center, check out my Etsy Shop.  I have it for sale for $4.00 for 1/2 yard/35 inch wide here.  Check out my other crinoline flower tutorial Easy Apple Blossoms.  

Let me know if you have any questions!  Thanks so much for stopping by.

22 comments:

shari said...

Your magnet is beautiful, thanks so much for the great tutorial. Once my scrappin area is put back together I'll have to try to make some of these. Thanks so much for sharing. Shari (cricutrookie)

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thanks for the step by step on your great fabric flowers. I love that Easter project and the color you chose did so much for it.

Anonymous said...

These flowers are so pretty! I'd love to try them. Wonder what the UK equivalent of 'crinoline' is? Anyone know? (Looks a bit like a heavy gauze ... ). Thanks for the great tutorial.

Suzi Mac said...

Oh my goodness Linda, your magnet is stunning and I'm loving your tutorials, can't wait to get my hands on my crinoline. Watch this space. lol.
Hugs
Suzi x

Kim said...

So so pretty! I love your technique of making the flowers. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing creativity!

Shelly Hickox said...

Love this tutorial! I have never looked for crinoline at the fabric store...guess I'm going to have to make a run to JoAnn's! Thanks so much for sharing your technique!

scrappychica said...

I love this technique! thank you for the step by step cause I'm defiantely gonna try it!
I love the final effect it gave on your project and can see these flowers adorning alot of different alterables :-)

Betty Wright said...

Beautiful card, Linda! Thanks so much for this idea and tutorial! Great look! Beautifully done!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great tutorial.. That flower is gorgeous..

Hugs, Linda

Paulette S said...

Those flowers are fabulous Linda. Yes,the forsythia are so striking. We had some years ago and I killed them, moving them. My neighbor was gracious enough to give me some starts last summer. I need to get them into the ground.

Beverly G said...

Wow, pretty stuff going on and another great tutorial. Looks like a stop at the fabric store on the way home from rehab.

Sarah said...

Hi Linda...at last time to pop round. Thanks for the tutorial! I really do love the colours and textures in your piece, bright and fresh and also so comforting. Love that blue and yellow together and you always have such great vintage images! I did read on the DT blog you struggled - (I know that one - my house piece took some major fiddling) - but your piece looks just divine. I want crinoline! See you soon...all the best with the new stuff (brains and fingers!

Sarah

Conniecrafter said...

Thanks so much for sharing how you made the flowers, just gorgeous!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

How beautiful the end result is! Love the bouquet! Thank you for sharing how you made this.

Sarah said...

Thank you so much for your tutorial; the flowers are awesome!

Linda M. Cain said...

Outstanding!!!1

~Linda

coldwaters2 said...

WOW Linda this is one awesome tutorial that i have bookmarked I am certain to try this out the finished flowers look totally beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Sherry said...

Your flowers look amazing! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 said...

Fabulous tutorial! Thank you! The flowers look gorgeous. I have been dyeing my seam binding but never thought to dye some flowers.

Unknown said...

These are so beautiful luv the colour you used and Thanks for the great tutorial.
Chris x

ania said...

Wspaniały kursik, bardzo ciekawa strona:))

jasmoonbutterfly said...

Great tutorial Linda! Thank you for sharing :0)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com