Saturday, August 14, 2010

School Days, School Days, Dear Old Golden Rule Days


Wow, I can hardly believe that it has rolled around to Saturday again. Where does the time go? Now it's back-to-school time pretty much all over the U.S.A. so we will be seeing a lot of school themed challenges popping up. And that's our theme this week at Our Creative Corner. There are lots of cute school images available, but of course I had to slant my creation towards the vintage mode. I had my card designed and ready to start assembling when I saw this delightful vintage schoolgirl image over at Digital Two for Tuesday. I immediately switched images and used this one. And so it goes...another vintage card for your inspiration.

You may have seen these vintage A-B-C flash cards here previously. Earlier this year, when I was on Sugar Creek Hollow design team I made cards with them featuring the flash cards (full size) as the main image. One thing that has really sold me on digital images is that you can resize them, thus making them highly flexible. For this project, I wanted the DP to show though so it worked best to make them miniture size in relation to the rest of the images. The apple, which was colored with Copics and coated with Tim Holtz Rock Candy Distress Stickles was also resized and used from the A flashcard. I created the slate (chalk board) by sponging white pigment ink across it first so it looked like a blackboard that had been erased, then stamping the sentiment in white pigment ink. I used a piece of woodgrain paper from Cosmo Cricket and cut it out to look like the wood frame of a slate.

When I was growing up, I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a great deal of time with my grandmother who talked to me about certain things in her life. She used to sing old songs to me , one of which was the "School Days" song that I titled this post after. She loved what I called antiques, but to her were probably just things that she grew up with and were familiar to her. She had an old student desk from the early 1900's that she let me sit in and use as well as the chalkboards she called slates. I feel like my grandmother might have been very similar to the girl in this picture. I thought a lot about her when making this card and am dedicating it to her memory. I don't keep very many of my cards, but ths one feels special to me and I am going to display it in my studio. Okay, so enough about my flashbacks, here's the dets on the card.

Products Used:
Stamps: Ornamental Frames from Inkadinkado, sentiment from Rubbernecker, ABC flash cards from Sugar Creek Hollow
Ink: Creamy Caramel, Tim Holtz Vintage Photo DI, Ranger Adirondack Pigment Ink Pad Snow Cap White, Versamark
Paper: Very Vanilla, Love Letter DP from SU, Cosmo Cricket Slue Foot Sue from the Wanted line (another fav CC DP!)
Accessories: Clear EP, Tim Holtz Rock Candy Stickles, sewing machine

That's it for today. Hope you will stop by Our Creative Corner to see the rest of the DT's samples and play along in our back-to-school challenge.

Challenges Entered:
Stamping Vacation - Very Vintage/Anything Faded
Paper Playtime - School Days
Paper Cutz - Back to School
Stampin' for the Weekend - Back to School

19 comments:

Irene said...

Hello Linda

What can I say but stunning, gorgeous and I LOVE LOVE your card, every single detail.

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog.

luv
irene
xxxx

Sian said...

Wonderful card, gorgeous image and the red apple just qive that wow factor.

coldwaters2 said...

Wonderful card Linda the vintage look you have captured here is awesome I love every single element of this one.
Hugs
Lorraine x

CarlaKH said...

Oh love this...I am so glad I ordered that Cosmo Cricket paper- can't wait to get it. Love the flashcards!

Christine said...

Love the memories you told as well as the card!

Wendy J. said...

Linda this is a beautiful vintage masterpiece and I love the variety it adds to the team! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card Linda, a really beautiful take on back to school. I love your trip down memory lane too.
Sue C x

nessy said...

what a wonderful card ~just stunning and so beautifully made!!
vanessa xx

Cora said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Sarah Gough said...

Love it Linda! Such a great take on the challenge and so unique!

Maria Matter said...

Linda this is so beautiful! And your post is beautiful, thank you for sharing your memories with us about your grandmother!


Thank you also for playing along with us @ Paper Playtime!
blessings!

NormaJean said...

I was just blog surfing and came across your card and just had to comment.. Its truly Beautiful, its so cool looking I love it!!!
hugs Normajean

Denise Clark said...

Love this! That image is terrific! Love the details! Sounds like Stamping Vacation's Very Vintage challenge is perfect for you! Thanks so much for playing along. this gives you an entry in the Sept 1st drawing for a $25.00 gift certificate to 7 Kids College Fund!

I have enjoyed my visit here so much that I will become a follower. Love your work!

LeAnne said...

Just love this!! Totally awesome, all your things are beautiful!

Janis Lewis said...

This is beautiful! So pretty! Thanks for playing in paper with us at Paper Playtime! :) Janis

Helen Dooley said...

amazing card!! I mean wow! I love the whole thing. Really a great job. Have I said I like it? Thanks for playing along on PCC this week.

Anonymous said...

Just found your wonderful blog after visiting Digital Two for Tuesday. Your card and text are reminiscent of my grandma, too. Thanks so much for sharing. I'll be back... Not a blogger, just an avid crafter, Alene

Mummylade said...

this is absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for entering the SFTW challenge this time and good luck.

Merry said...

Oh wow...what a great card...love how it is all put together. Thanks for joining in the Very Vintage Challenge at Stamping Vacation.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com