Saturday, May 21, 2011

Frame It


Another week has whizzed by at the speed of light and it's time once again for my Saturday post for Our Creative Corner.  I hope you have all had a great week and will have an even better weekend!  I'm the hostess again this week,  Since I've been so focused on getting my Etsy shop up and running, actually my team mate Rebecca came up with our challenge theme this week so I'm merely doing the hosting duties.  And I do love the theme - it's called Frame It!  We want to see a 3-D raised frame on your submissions this week.

Here's my interpretation of the challenge. My frame is made from corrugated cardboard cut with the SU Top Note die for the outer edge and the inside was cut with a Spellbinders die.  It's two layers thich and then was popped up on craft foam to give it the dimensional look I was going for.  After cutting the frame, I used my finger to smear gesso all over it.  Then I took an old VersaMark pen (showing you what my VersaMarker looks like - great for dabbing Versamark on) dabbed Versamark randomly around the edge of it and embossed with some of UTEE mixed with a little gold EP.  I think that process gives it such a nice finished off look while still retaining the vintage shabby feel to it.



For the rest of the card, I started with a shell of kraft, next layer up is a one of my vintage song book pages, the edges of which were ink distressed with Vintage Photo and some gueso smears.  The next layer up is a pure white sheet of CS, embossed with the Tim Holtz Patchwork embossing folder.  Next up is a white doily that I aged with some tea stains.  I used my newly acquired PTI die to cut the scallops out of some more songbook paper, inked the edges with Vintage Photo and more gesso smears.

The flowers is crinoline and tulle.  The crinoline was tea dyed in various strengths of tea to give it some nice neutral shades.  And isn't that a gorgeous vintage button?  Yumm, I'm in love with that one!  I whipped up a new stick pin like the ones I've been selling in more yummy neutral shades, added a tag cut with another newly acquired PTI die.  The stamps on the tag are also PTI products and the twine is more yummy neutral fluff, with a nod to the Gingersnaps challenge to use twine.

Well, that's it for another week's OCC make.  When I was updating all my challenge listings this week, I saw a number of challenges I wanted to play in so I'll be listing them out a little later.  And I do apologize that my challenge listing was behind a week, but it's all caught up now and al the challenge themes and links should be curent.

It's been a long week and I need to get some sleep (posting on Friday night with a scheduled 5am post).  Most of the items I used on my card today are available in my Etsy shop:  crinoline, corrugated cardboard, vintage songbook pages, and stick pins.  If you find anything sold out, check back later.  I know the stick pins are gone, but will be making up more over the weekend.  I will also be working over the weekend to create some Funkie Junkie kits.  The first one wiil be Natural Neutrals and will feature many of the items I have used on my last two OCC cards.  So check back on Sunday to see my new listings.  And in the meantime, have yourself a wonderful weekend and I ope to see your entry over at Our Creative Corner.

Challenges Entered:
Sentimental Sundays - Handmade Flowers
My Partner in Crafting Crime - Twine, Jute or String
The Shabby Tea Room - Monochromatic
Creative Belli - The Letter S - Mine is Stick Pin and my old and forgotten is my twine
Crafty Creations - May Flowers
Fab 'n Funky - Make Your Own Blooms
Truly Scrumptious - Anything Goes
CCEE Stampers - April Showers Bring May Flowers
Color Create - White, Cream and Brown with a twist of flowers and a button
Cute Card Thursday - Let's Get Krafty
Gingersnaps Spicy Supply Challenge - Twine
CASE Study - CASE-ing the work of Sarah Martina Parker
Crafty Cardmakers - Embossing
Speedy the Cat's Friends Challenge - Tone on Tone with the focal image popped up

45 comments:

bearkis said...

Великолепна творба!!!Хубав уикенд и на Вас!!!!

Margreet said...

Linda, again a treat for the eyes!!!
xxx Margreeet

nessy said...

oh wow!! just stunning!!
vanessa xx

Kim Dellow said...

Totally love it!

Patti P. said...

Linda, so in love with this card. All of the details just add up to one gorgeous creation!! I relly like that new scallop die and tag. I don't have any PTI but have been desiring some for a long while and may just have to give over. It's funny when I saw the challenge this morning, I have been fussy cutting some digital images out and was going to create something just for fun, but I think it will be perfect for OCC this week. Can't wait to play....

Moz said...

Oh My!! Linda this is so cool!
Love the whole shabby vintage feel about it all and the tea dyed bits in the flower are fantastic. Must try that.
Very inspiring.
Hugz
Moz

Tanya said...

Love, love, love it! Love that corrugated cardboard, been seeing it around I want to try using some. Have a great weekend!

Beth aka BR-T said...

Linda this is phenomenal wow what detail!

Vicki B. said...

Absolutely Fabulous!!! Totally vintage and AWESOME!!!

Sue C said...

Gorgeous work Linda !Love the frame and the flower makes a fabulous centre piece. I have been hopping in and out of your Etsy Shop, everything looks yummy ! Sue C x

Adair said...

This is beautiful, Linda!!!

Marjie K said...

This is GORGEOUS. Thank you for explaining what you did with the versamark and utee. Such a neat effect!

Sharon said...

I always look forward to your posts! You have some very creative touches! I love how you gesso and UTE powder of various items! Love everything about your card!
I've been working on my Etsy shop this week, too :)

Lori said...

Totally gorgeous piece, Linda! Of course I love the flower, but that frame is outstanding! Love the tip about the utee and gold, I'll have to try that!

Vixykins said...

Hi Linda

It means that you havent linked back to crafty cardmakers on your actual post x

Jennifer Rzasa said...

Linda, this is so pretty! I'm not usually drawn to those colors, but I really like the way they look on your card! Thanks for hosting a fun challenge :)

papertrails leaver said...

Amazing amazing just in awe of this beautiful card Linda! Thanks for joining us at Sentimental Sundays!

Sue said...

Wonderful Creation Linda, I agree the button is lovely and suits the vintage theme you have going on.I love how you use Gesso on some elements to create your texture.
Smiles:)

andrea said...

stunning card,the flower is simply gorgeous and such beautiful detail thankyou for joining us at fab'n'funky
andrea

Linda R. said...

WOW!!! This is gorgeous.. Thanks so much for always giving us the details of how you create your cards.. I am so bad at that..

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Hugs, Linda

Winnie and Patty said...

This is just beautiful! Your flower is amazing! Great job. Thanks for playing along with us at Speedy the Cat's Friends challenge this week!

LuLu said...

Blown away by your card - it's drop dead gorgeous. Your flower is trulu inspirational and I have never made a flower with fabric so must give this a go.

Many thanks for joining in with Fab'n'Funky Challenges.

Lou
x

Danielle Therese Greenwood said...

What a beautiful card! I love each little detail, and that flower is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this with the Shabby Tea Room!

Joanne (jojot) said...

THUD......I am stunned by the beauty of this card...I had to gaze at the flower several times just to take it all in...really wonderful......AND thanks for playing with the CCEE Stampers AND Speedy's Friends

redwasher1 said...

STUNNING!!!!!!Just beautiful!!!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful card with us at Speedy's Friends.

Lori Rider said...

This is amazing, Linda - all the texture is fabulous! This was a fun challenge - thanks for two great weeks of hosting!

Sarah Gough said...

love that corrugated frame!

lisbeth said...

Love your card. Thank for joining us at Truly scrumptious

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow that is fantastic, great layering and textures, love what you have done with the framing, Lovely flower and pin too!

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

The is card breathtaking! I love the frame and each and every detail is stunning. Thanks for playing with Speedy's Friends!

Cazro said...

Wow! Your card is stunning, so much to admire. I regret, our rules do say we only accept a max of 10 challenge entries including ours. Please check the rules. Your work is spectacular. I do hope we see you again. Caz

coldwaters2 said...

Wow Linda this is awesome so much beauty I love it.
hugs
Lorraine x

Deb said...

beautiful card, love the details!
Many thanks for joining in the Cute Card Thursday challenge this week!
Happy Crafting, Debxx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Breathtaking piece of art.

Dawn♥ said...

It's absolutely GORGEOUS. Great job and thanks for playing along at Crafty Creations. Dawn♥

Mandy said...

Such a wonderful card,lovely layout and the flower is beautiful. Thanks for joining us this week at Truly Scrumptious...
Mandy x

Melly said...

WoW!
I just love it all! Its all stunning and beautiful!
Thanks for playing along with Crafty Cardmakers Challenges!
Hugs Melly xxx

Julie said...

Hi Linda - this is absolutely stunning!!! Fabulous piece of art - love it!! Thanks for joining us at Colour Create this time around, Juliexx

Wanda H said...

I LOVE this card!!!!

yours truly said...

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

A-MAH-ZING!!
I love how technique packed it is, the embossing looks fantastic!

Cristina said...

What a super cool look. Thanks for playing along with us at CASE Study!

Shelby Goolsby said...

This is so beautiful!! I am blown away with all of the great techniques you used. Thanks for joining us at My Partner In Crafting Crime.

bosenberries said...

Brilliant card! Thanks so much for playing in My Partner in Crafting Crime's twine, jute or string challenge! Robin

SmilynStef said...

Love the tips for embossing and for saving those old worn-out pens ... absolutely gorgeous design ... thanks for joining our Spicy Supply Challenge at Gingersnap Creations.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com