Saturday, September 18, 2010

Rustic Rose


Hello and happy weekend. So happy you're back to see my sketch challenge card for Our Creative Corner. This week, our lovely hostess, Lori Rider, has given us a terrific sketch to follow. I really like how it leaves some of the DP bare. I love designer paper and use it sparingly. And when I do, it always seems like the beautiful design in the paper gets covered up by so many more layers. I think this sketch is going to be a keeper for me!

I had planned to make the circle a focal sentiment, but the other night I was blog surfing and came across this wonderful tutorial (I made the second one, using distress inks). You probably know without me saying that I am in love with hand made flowers and this is one of the coolest I have seen. And it was insanely quick and easy to do. Since it fit so perfectly on the sketch, I gave up the sentiment circle and made my sentiment the panel directly under the flower using my computer. I used Becca Feeken's right angel punching tutorial to make the copper medallion and corner pieces. They were punched out of Really Rust CS and then embossed with copper EP.

Products Used:
Stamps: None, sentiment was computer generated and printed on DP
Paper: Always Artichoke, More Mustard, Really Rust,Chocolate Chip, Autumn Thyme digital DP from Raspberry Road
Ink: Wild Honey DI, Vintage Photo DI, Pine Needles DI, Always Artichoke, Versamark
Accessories: Martha Stewart corner punch, Tim Holtz Chackerboard Texture Fade EF, Making Memories copper brads, KaiserCraft copper pearls, Dazzling Diamonds glitter, Copper EP, home made glimmer mixture with Vintage Photo reinker, Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls and water

Well, that's a wrap on another Our Creative Corner challenge. Hope you will take time to stop by the blog and maybe even use our sketch this week for a card or project. As always, thanks for stopping by and for your uplifting comments. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Blessings & hugs,
Challenges Entered:
Stampin' Sisters in Christ -John 10:10/Abundance and Stitching
Gingersnaps Spicy Supply Challenge - Punches
Incy Wincy Designs - Autumn Colors
Polycraft Challenge - Autumn Colors
CASE Study - Casing the work of Marina Grigsby (see photo for inspiration)

25 comments:

HappyCrafter said...

Beautiful! Love the flower, and thanks so much for the link to the tutorial, watched them both and will definitely be trying this one out.

Leanne said...

WOW this is fantastic!!

Hugs
Leanne
xx

Margreet said...

Fantastic flower Linda...your card is so stylish...so pure Linda-like
! Have a nice weekend!
xxx Margreet

Suzi said...

Gorgeous card Lida, love the flower and the corners. Thanks for the link, I hope you have a lovely weekend.
Hugs
Suzi x

Sian said...

Beautiful card, love it! Great embossing, it looks like metal. And your flower is amazing.
Hugs

Lori said...

Gorgeous Linda! I do love those flowers!

Lori Rider said...

Beautiful card! That flower is just gorgeous and I love all the embellishments! I'm so glad you had fun with the sketch! :)

Wendy J. said...

This is lovely, Linda! I totally love all the copper accents you used! Fabulous!

True :) said...

WOW! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
I love the card but that handmade flower is really what makes it!
Awesome my friend!
Hugs,
True :D

marsha said...

Linda, this is just so gorgeous! That flower is just so stunning and I love the copper accents. This is such a stuning creation!
Hugs, Marsha

Diane Gilbert said...

Linda this is GORGOUS!!! I love your copper embellishments, and your flower is beautiful!! Another BEAUTIFUL card!!

Andrea Ewen said...

Gorgeous, Linda! Love how you embossed the MS Modern Garland punch with the copper...it's so striking! And that flower is awesome! It's one thing to try a technique and having it work, but it's another thing to add it to an already beautiful card and make a masterpiece! (Which you've done). Thanks for playing along with us this week at CASE Study!

Patti J said...

Linda, your card is gorgeous! What a vision of elegance. Thanks so much for sharing with us! Thank you for joining us at Stampin' Sisters in Christ. Hope to see you back next week!

Netty said...

I found your blog and boy am I glad I did. You have such wonderful projects and such great use of colours and design. So am definitely following you as have a lot to learn. Annette

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Linda, this is exquisite! I must check this flower tutorial, it looks so cool - as does the copper ornament! I'm SO glad to see you playing along with CASE Study!! Thanks :)

Becky said...

This is fabulous, love the flower.Thank you for joining us at Stampin Sisters in Christ.

peggysue said...

I like the mixture of the copper with the handmade flower, it is very rustic, a great look! Thanks for coming alongside Stampin' Sisters in Christ this week!

Aimes said...

Fabulous card! I love the colours and that flower - simply fab!
Thanks so much for joining us on CASE study this week!
Hugs,
Aimes
x

Annika said...

Your cards always have THE most creative ideas on them! Now that rose is simply stunning (gonna give it a try for sure) and the punching so cool and you're right - the sketch is a total keeper!!!
Hugs
Annika

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

This is so pretty. I love every element of it.

Annika said...

To answer all your questions...lol
I used heavy canvas and primed with couple of coats of gesso on the other side. Thus I had to actually work HARD to get it fraying :D That was also a reason it actually held the embossing pretty OK, it doesn't show up very well but has quite a decent definition for a fabric. And gluing it down was a lot easier due to relative stiffness. Of course priming rendered it totally useless for gathered/pleated canvas flowers I wanted to try out - it's now just too rigid and weighty. And I'm outta non-primed canvas, lol
I DO have loads of primed one now though (guess who's great at overdoing) so if you want some, just throw your addie my way...
Hugs
Annika

Annika said...

Oh, forgot to add - in theory you could paint on it as well. That's why I originally primed it. OF COURSE I never painted anything. Thanks for asking. :p
Hugs
Annika

Denise @ kc242 said...

Such a pretty card. Your flower is sooooo lovely!
Denise

Sue Kohler said...

OMG, you made this flower!!!! Just gorgeous!! The flower is a perfect focal point for this card! Thanks for sharing the link to the flower tutorial and for playing along with us at CASE study this week! :)

Sarah Gough said...

Love that flower Linda!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com